3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2007 and up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Possible Head Gasket ?? Help Please....

Old 11-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Head Gasket ?? Help Please....

Ok here it goes boys, started few weeks ago, heat would come and go, figured i should check it out.

Found coolant bottle right full and level in rad was over a gallon low, topped up levels and away i went, all was ok for about a week then the check gauges light comes on as its over heating, same deal coolant bottle full rad low , this time found all my missing coolant blown all over the engine bay and ground...

So i started into diagnostic mode, drop coolant and pressure test all good holds 16psi, check t-stat, replace anyway, new rad cap, check oil for contaminates all good, fill system with coolant manually and bleed out bubbles all seems good ,
first test drive same thing happens again, blows all the coolant out the overflow, only this time i can see air bubbling in the coolant bottle at idle, so i suspect an air lock, got to shop and drained coolant again, used air lift vacuum system to fill system held 27hg vaccume for over an hour...

Filled system and all seems fine heat is back nice and hot runs normal operating temp but coolant bottle was right full, rad was low, and i can still see bubbles happening in the coolant bottle.... so i topped up the rad and here i sit wondering what the EFFF is happening... crossing fingers and waiting on the cummins gods to bless my truck lol .... i dont even want to entertain the head gasket as the failure so bring me fresh ideas..... thank you all in advance!! ps this is the first truck ive owned that i HAVNT beat the crap out of !!!!!!! maybe its Karma
Old 11-04-2010, 10:21 PM

It's the egr cooler !! They crack internally!!! Get it replaced fast cause it can wipe out ur emission sys fast!!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:09 PM

thanks for the reply Cjonnos, ive already got it deleted.... check out my signature...thanks again though any other thoughts would be good
Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ya, that is wishful thinking there with the EGR cooling you don't have anymore. Sorry, but it sounds like a head gasket to me for sure. Combustion pressure is leaking into the cooling system over pressurizing it and you see the bubbles leaking into the reservoir.

Now is the time for some upgrades then.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by westspeed
, this time found all my missing coolant blown all over the engine bay and ground...

So i started into diagnostic mode, drop coolant and pressure test all good holds 16psi, check t-stat, replace anyway, new rad cap, check oil for contaminates all good, fill system with coolant manually and bleed out bubbles all seems good ,
is it still blowing coolant all over the engine bay?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM

no changes on my end ,i have been told to try and re-torque the head with a warm engine , and check coolant hose for leaks , still blowing out coolant all over the place , great fun !
Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Im gonna have to say HG too.

If I was in your position Id bite the bullet and stud it. Studs are right behind a tranny on my mod priority list.

Too bad both might be a while. *sigh*
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've had the unfortunately news and conclusion of head gasket problems before (not on my Cummins). Just go get it fixed and the nice thing is you can make it even better with the studs now.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
they don't like much more than 50ish psi of drive pressure on these motors. have done a few of them evern with studs and a bigger turbo it will do it again.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:04 AM

Well ive got it all apart now, head completely gone through, new seats and seals, pressure tested, decked and ready for reassembly...
wondering what else i can do to make things stronger, i am putting arp 625 studs in and factory gaskets ,,, are there any other upgrades that i could look at ????

Thank you for all the info