3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Tranny gives 22.7 intown

Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I did think remembered seeing him post on here a few times. Still listed as DTR member Tim Holt. Seems he hasn't posted in over a year and a half though.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, he and my B-I-L started Muscle trucks. Unfortunately, it did not last. He is as knowledgeable about trannys as anyone you will find. Diesels for that matter.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone, nope have been here for quite a while. In fact I forgot about even having an account here. Been way too busy.

Listen up, the in town stop and go fuel mileage is very real. BUT you have to drive it to get it. No blasting the throttle or you wont get it. But the potential is there in the 03 and early 04 SO and HO trucks. Unlocked convertor RPM is way down with this TC. But you will need to have some very good LOW END torque to realize the help in fuel savings or your truck wont like it.

Here is the deal, I used a combo of programs and TC stall and couple speeds to get what I wanted for towing. Not for drag racing (altho this setup is very fast putting more power on the ground at lower RPM than before), or sled pulling (but can work for that too) and keeps the trans fluid cooler because of the lower coupling speeds.

I spent, or rather the truck spent 6 months on a real dyno at the former Muscle Trucks finding the power and putting at where I wanted it. Besides finding total HP and torque the Super Flow 849 dyno lets me do all kinds of test like "road load" for example and was a super tool to let me use the combo of programs for my wants. After that a new trans was needed since I literally EXPLODED my 48RE. I rebuilt it using my techniques of custom machine parts, Transgo 48RE VB kit with other VB mods, Sonnax one piece input shaft and custom clutch and steel sets along with a list of other components working together to hold the torque I make while pulling my RV and other trailers and loads.

Over two years of research went in this, it works, REALLY works.

Highway driving mileage doesn't change as the convertor is locked up anyway and none of the trans ratios are changed. So whatever you got for highway mileage before you get after.

No, I can not guarantee that you will get what I (22 to 23 MPG) or annabell gets for intown mileage, thats not what I built it for. It was just a real surprising side effect!

Last edited by Tim Holt; 11-22-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-23-2008, 11:27 AM

I'am glad you responded, it makes a little more sense now. I was going to call BS but maybe, just maybe, it might make sense with the stronger low end power as you pointed out. Shouldn't be a problem with a Smarty Jr. or Sr. as one could program the right amount of Torque management.

Is this a package for every body or does other people have to bring in their truck in to have it programmed just right, or can they buy the parts and install them themselves?
Old 11-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

Highway mileage has stayed the same, but in town has gone way up. All mileage is hand calculated.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:41 PM

What is your highway mileage?
Old 11-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Banned

Around 23-24.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:21 AM

You need to build your low end torque yourself either with programing of things like injector changes and such. Many different ways to make low end torque are possible from the third gens. Mine, for example fuels good and makes 20 PSI boost at just 1500 RPM, 10 PSI at 1200 RPM. Third gens dont normally make good boost untill 1800 RPM and up. Thats why the coupling speed is so high and in town fuel milage is down. Once you make the low end needed to pull at lower RPMs, you need to bring the truck to me and demonstrate your trucks capabilities, or I drive to verify when the torque is being made. I build the trans and order up a custom stall convertor that fits your engine and your needs from the truck.

Its not a one size fits all, it a set up that fits your truck.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 AM

A little added info. Drive your truck 30 MPH in OD and look at your RPM. DO the same at 35 and 40. These are your most common speeds at in town driving. Mine will now cruise on level ground and some light inclines, unloaded, 30 MPH at 1000 RPM. 1100 at 35 and 1200 at 40. Thats with the convertor running unlocked. Thats how I get my in town stop and go fuel milage.

The question was asked "can you get these parts to install yourself". YES! Yes you can. Everything I use is a combo of off the shelf parts that anyone can buy. I choose to do some of my own machining to save on the cost instead of buying everything, the result is the same.

We are a Suncoast dealer and can sell and install their parts. The convertor I use is a Suncoast. I can request a uncommon stall if needed but all of their convertors are custom builds anyway.

Listen up, I didnt reinvent the wheel. Nobody can, the wheel has allready been invented. Anyone can use different tires on the wheel so to speak. What I have done IS NOT some double throw down, super secret, mad scientist, patented setup. Just a combo of parts that work together. The rest is a use of high grade parts (clutchs, bands, steels and such) and paying close attention to detail to make a GOOD quality rebuild that works and lasts.

I am only sharing info, nothing more. I am not here to promote or sell anyone anything. I only work for the transmission shop (North Texas Transmission) where I built my trans. ANY good quality trans shop can do this setup, any.

If anyone tells you that they have reinvented the wheel, take it with a few grains of salt!