3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ac compressor not cycling on/off ice buildup

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My understanding, from what I have been reading, is the compressor will not shut off. Try unplugging the wires at the compressor. If this does not shut it off then, you need to replace the compressor.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:52 AM

Thank you Steve I will try that. You're correct, when the button is OFF in truck it stays on. It doesn't ever turn off. So I'm running truck with the fuse for ac clutch pulled. I have so little down time to investigate this. The part and labor is under warranty, unfortunately 500 miles from where I live... but that does happen when you're hauling all over. I need to rule out as many possible causes as I possibly can before I spend more money. Thank you.. will reply with result.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:23 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim O
I have a similar problem on my 03 after about 1/2 hour of driving the air freezes up and if I turn the ac off it will thaw out and work again but my compressor clutch does disingage if I turn the ac off.
Jim O
Common fix is to top off the refrigerant as it is low. If this occurs again in a short period of time, you will have to find the leak.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:07 AM

I have a similar problem on my 03 after about 1/2 hour of driving the air freezes up and if I turn the ac off it will thaw out and work again but my compressor clutch does disingage if I turn the ac off. as I say the ac works fine untill it starts to freeze up then if I turn the ac off untill it thaws and then I push the button and it works again for a while. The drain tube is not clogged as if you let it idle with the ac on the water runs out of the drain tube but the compressor does not cycle. Any Ideas ?
Jim O
Probably low in low refrigerant.
Check/fix for leak, recycle, evacuate, recharge with the right amount of refrigerant.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
check to see if clutch is disengaging, when u pull the wires off and it still turns try tapping clutch with a hammer "tapping" if it stops replace clutch, as u know the compressor is working. The clutch has welded itself togather;;
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
correction if the clutch stops or not try prying it apart, then replace clutch
Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 AM

Jim O,
Have you checked your refrigerant charge? Evaps will ice up if charge is too low. You will notice a light "frost fog" coming out of the vents as the evap begins icing.

Gary
Old 08-17-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on guys, focus. OP said compressor keeps running with AC turned off. It doesn't run with the fuse pulled. Low refrigerant will not make it run constantly, that will make it not run at all if everything is working correctly.

There is obviously a short from battery voltage to the clutch coil wiring somewhere. A schematic and someone that knows how to trouble shoot is needed at this point. Any further comments on this subject is purely conjecture.....
Old 08-17-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by PWong
Probably low in low refrigerant.
Check/fix for leak, recycle, evacuate, recharge with the right amount of refrigerant.
Sorry I should have mentioned that the refrigerant is not low. the tech who checked it figured that it must be the fin sensor and he said he was not interested in trying to change that. Is it really that hard and do you have to evacuate the system to get to it.
Jim O
Old 08-17-2015, 07:56 PM

Sorry I should have mentioned that the refrigerant is not low. the tech who checked it figured that it must be the fin sensor and he said he was not interested in trying to change that. Is it really that hard and do you have to evacuate the system to get to it.
Jim O
The dashboard has to come out so as to remove the evaporator from the air box to gain access to the sensor.
Yes you have to recycle the refrigerant before you open up the system.
No shortcuts.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 PM

The evaporator temp sensor signal might be checked for integrity by using a scan tool.

Other than low refrigerant, restricted orifice tube would also cause freezing evaporator.
Have to do more diagnosis to determine what to do.
Replacing the temp sensor would be the same as replacing the evaporator.
It would take 4-5 hours to remove the evaporator.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:45 AM

The evaporator temp sensor signal might be checked for integrity by using a scan tool.

Other than low refrigerant, restricted orifice tube would also cause freezing evaporator.

None of those things will cause the compressor to run non stop, it seems like everyone is ignoring the facts and findings of trouble shooting......of course the evap will freeze up if the compressor never stops pumping refrigerant.

Find out what is keeping the clutch engaged with no call for AC.
The following users liked this post:
Dave23 (07-05-2022)
Old 08-18-2015, 10:38 AM

This was for Jim O only.
Not for the original OP.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Forget about the evaporator temp sensor now.
Have to do more troubleshooting on "the clutch was engaged when A/C was OFF".
Without fixing this you are going nowhere.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2004/d...42/8W-42-7.pdf
05 has the same diagram as 04.
ECM controls the clutch by grounding the A/C CLUTCH RELAY CONTROL signal, after receiving the A/C Clutch request from the A/C Control head.
Possible issues:
The wiring from ECM to IPM clutch relay was shorted to ground.
ECM failed to control the relay.
A/C control head failed remove the request for A/C clutch.
This was for the original OP.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by verdesardog
None of those things will cause the compressor to run non stop, it seems like everyone is ignoring the facts and findings of trouble shooting......of course the evap will freeze up if the compressor never stops pumping refrigerant.
Find out what is keeping the clutch engaged with no call for AC.
Please read post#3,5,9 and 13 again.

Quick Reply: ac compressor not cycling on/off ice buildup