Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Why do I have no wait to start light? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/why-do-i-have-no-wait-start-light-48314/)

riffman 07-29-2004 03:11 PM

Why do I have no wait to start light?

i have a 95 3500 2wd regular cab and its not a stripper model or anything. So do any of you have any idea why I dont' have a wait to start light?

I thought it was maybe because the light bulb was broken or something, but when i took the dash apart, there was no bulb or anything there.

Were there some models that didn't have the light at all, or did the previous owner probably jack around with it. Any suggestions on how to go about getting one back? Can I rewire it in or something?

Thanks for the help!

infidel 07-29-2004 03:21 PM

The light doesn't go on unless the temp is below 50°

riffman 07-29-2004 03:30 PM

well thats good to know. :D

but you missed what i was saying. I took apart the dash, and there was nothing there...the little cutout that says "wait to start" is there..but no bulb or harness or wiring behind it at all.... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

edit:
by the way....how did you do the actual degree symbol? ascii?

TPilaske 07-29-2004 06:17 PM

ALT + 0176 = °

Or you can always use the "character map"

Tony

ps - don't know about your "wait to start" lamp missing?!

phox_mulder 07-29-2004 06:24 PM

I see you aren't the original owner.

Perhaps it came from a warm climate where the WTS wasn't needed, so the previous owner just ripped it out?

Are your grid heaters still intact?
Perhaps they were ripped out after they stopped working right?
so they removed the useless light along with them?

phox

infidel 07-29-2004 06:53 PM

Or it was a V-10 that someone slipped a Cummins in to.

Look and see if you have two large cables going to the grid heaters on top of the manifold.

J BODY 07-29-2004 08:34 PM

Isn't the "wts" light in the 95 at the bottom of the HVAC control along side the trans temp light?

riffman 07-29-2004 09:26 PM

ok...some answers here.

the truck was from central illinois originally..so that prolly isn't it...

I have no idea about the grid heaters. but i shall follow the cables.

The truck was deffinately a diesel to begin with..its sitting at a shop right now for four (4) recalls that never got fixed on it.

and yes...the light is supposed to be under the hvac stuff, and there is another spot for a light there, but i don't know what it is for.

So ultimately what I'm getting from you guys, is that yes, something was supposed to be there, but somebody screwed around with it and its now gone, right?

A friend of mine is the dodge diesel tech at the dealer here, so i will check with him to see if he can hook me up with another one. :)

Thanks guys!

pogorules 07-29-2004 11:13 PM

Why worry about the light. You can hear it click when the grids go off anyway.

infidel 07-30-2004 06:04 AM

Or watch the voltmeter

riffman 07-30-2004 07:28 AM

Originally posted by pogorules
Why worry about the light. You can hear it click when the grids go off anyway.

Originally posted by infidel
Or watch the voltmeter
yeah, thats what I had been doing...there is deffinately an audible click....and the volt meter changes. I just wasn't sure if i was supposed to wait longer than that.

and besides, like many other simple minded folk, i am mesmerized by lights and pretty colors. :D

Thanks for the info guys!:cool:

infidel 07-30-2004 09:04 AM

Since your grid system does appear to be working it makes me wonder if you somehow got the dash wiring for a gasser. I can't imagine anyone purposely removing the lighting. If you do indeed have the gasser wiring the dash will have a light that indicates when to shift gears, indicated by a upward pointing arrow.

riffman 07-30-2004 09:11 AM

nope...no shift light....quite perplexing, eh? lol

maybe ill pull the dash apart again and check to see if it is hanging around behind the radio or something...maybe it broke and fell, and is just hiding behind something obscure...

SHARPMACHINE 07-30-2004 09:12 AM

Maybe someone replaced the dash or ? due to an accident or ? just my .002

jcbrown 07-31-2004 12:59 PM

º Symbol...

Originally posted by riffman
...how did you do the actual degree symbol? ascii?
On the Mac 'option 0' displays degrees symbol º