2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box

I have been doing a lot of research over the past several months pertaining to what is available for a steering box upgrade. Many people have spoken highly about the Borgeson box, Red-Head, Blue-Top and others, while just as many complained and shunned these brands. I ended up looking closely as these boxes and noticed all of them use the OEM cast housings with the 4-bolts on top. This design has been around a while is nothing new to the market. It is my understanding that these companies are installing upgraded bearings/valving/seals to make them a superior aftermarket box. I recently read some posts of a PSC XD steering box that came out on the market last February. This box is bigger in size, has a larger sector shaft bearing, and the top is a 6-bolt design. After reading about it and seeing how different it was compared to the other guys, I decided to pull the trigger and buy one. Currently PSC has a 3-4 week back order on them. This box could be what dodge owners have been waiting for, a tough "medium duty" spec'd unit that will last with the relentless weight of the Cummins up front. The part# PSC-SG850. My plan is to install it and provide a review to those interested.
The following users liked this post:
Kerley (01-27-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting, keep us posted, I am interested as well. I bought the Borgeson box steering box a couple of years ago, was not impressed. Out of the box, couple of inches of excess play...not good!
Old 01-26-2018, 10:50 AM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
Also interested - though it will probably be more than I care to spend. They list it as "4x4" - any reason it can't be used on a 2WD?
Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 PM

I probably can't use it. I checked it out a Geno's garage, say it is not compatible with trucks that have steering stabilizer installed. Not sure about 2WD versus 4WD.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
About the 2X4 and 4X4 interchange, FWIW, only the 8800 GVW trucks ( ours and V10 ) list the same box for both, the lower GVW's list a different box between the 2.

Don't know why, but it does.

I am also interested, was going to order up a redhead, but will wait till you report.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:22 PM

My PSC XD box is shipped out and will arrive this coming Wednesday. I decided today to also order up the special steering stabilizer bracket made by Dodge Offroad that only fits the PSC steering boxes. If you visit their website, there is a great write-up about how most aftermarket steering stabilizers induce added stress to the steering box. Dodge Offroad has really studied the 2nd gens and done their homework on how to fix the inherent steering problems of the 94-02 trucks. The stuff isn't exactly cheap, but is well made and should be a permanent fix. The reviews on their website really clue you in. My next piece to buy is the Dodge Offroad track bar. I'll give a report of the PSC steering box and stabilizer after install, I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who are tired of spending big $$$ and only getting a year or two out of the components.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 AM

Yeah, was wondering what could be done about that steering stabilizer bar. Definitely interested in that Dodge Offroad as well, will check out their site. Albino99, do you currently have a stabilizer bar on your truck?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by FlaCracker
Yeah, was wondering what could be done about that steering stabilizer bar. Definitely interested in that Dodge Offroad as well, will check out their site. Albino99, do you currently have a stabilizer bar on your truck?
Yes, I have a traditional style stabilizer bar. It is the typical DSS design you see everywhere. When I installed it last year, it made a noticeable difference, but still not enough for straight steering without sawing the wheel back & forth. According to DOR, the traditional style stabilizers bolted between the frame induces stress into the sector shaft whenever the frame is twisted from normal articulation. The new stabilizer I ordered is completely different and only works with the PSC box.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:15 AM

Albino99, any updates?
Old 02-07-2018, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by FlaCracker
Albino99, any updates?
Well, I got my steering box a few days ago. First impressions........... This thing is beefy! I was notified yesterday that my DOR (Dodge Off Road) steering box brace shipped out. I should be installing the new box & brace soon. I''ll update again.
Attached Thumbnails PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1566.jpg   PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1567.jpg   PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1568.jpg  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:44 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Looks like an adapter is used for the input shaft? Seems like a good place for additional play down the road.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:37 AM

Looks great! I a definitely getting tired of the excess play from the Borgeson steering box, hoping the PSC box does the trick!
Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 AM

Hopefully, you will not have to make any pre-load/over-center adjustments on the box.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:09 PM

Finally recieved the last piece I need for the steering box installation. Today I got the Dodge Off Road PSC steering box brace/stabilizer. The first thing I noticed about the construction of the brace, very heavy and built to take a beating. This steering stabilizer is the only one on the market currently made specifically for the PSC XD steering box. I can't wait to bolt on this system and see how my steering reacts. Feedback coming soon.
Attached Thumbnails PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1577.jpg   PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box-img_1578.jpg  
Old 02-14-2018, 09:51 AM

Great, good luck! Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: PSC XD(Extreme Duty) steering box