Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Whats the proper way to debadge a truck? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/whats-proper-way-debadge-truck-123385/)

dieselfan 11-09-2006 06:52 PM

Whats the proper way to debadge a truck?

i want to debadge my truck and was wondering, whats the best way, what do you use? Plastic scraper and Goo gone?

thanks dieselfan.

Geico266 11-09-2006 06:59 PM

Hair dryer, plastic scraper, 3M Adhesive remover, 6 pack of your favorite beverage, and alot of elbow grease. NO metal tools.

madhat 11-09-2006 07:06 PM

I took mine to a body shop guy that I know, and he used a razor blade and some 3M adheasive remover. Clean as could be. I've also heard fishing line/dental floss and a hair dryer. Even the sun hitting the badge on a warm day is good enough, but it's too late for that. Just be careful if you use a balde or hair dryer. Good luck!!

Tate 11-10-2006 12:47 AM

I did the fishing line on mine. The higher the tensile strength, the better. I kept breaking the line. I found adding heat made the stuff gooier, and while being able to remove the badge easier, left a lot more glue behind. Finished it off with some solvent thats safe on cured paint, looks good. Just keep the fishing line flush against the body. At one point on the first emblem, I started pulling outward at the bottom, started cutting through the Cummins emblem.

TxDiesel007 11-10-2006 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by madhat (Post 1203006)
I took mine to a body shop guy that I know, and he used a razor blade and some 3M adheasive remover. Clean as could be. I've also heard fishing line/dental floss and a hair dryer. Even the sun hitting the badge on a warm day is good enough, but it's too late for that. Just be careful if you use a balde or hair dryer. Good luck!!

Same here

even after 140K with the banks badges they came off no problem. We debadged my buddys third gen with fishing line, and with a good washing and waxin, no can tell..

Rick

bnold 11-10-2006 05:44 PM

Fishing line for me then a lot of rubbing for the goo...

clutch1 11-10-2006 06:21 PM

Like others I also used fishing line but since mine was a little older 97' I did get some noticable lines almost like the paint had shrunk underneath. As far as the adhesive just get you an eraser made to remove pin stripes, very easy a little wash and wax and your done.

Mopar440_6 11-11-2006 03:13 AM

Not to hijack but did you guys who debadged your trucks also remove the rubber bumpers running along the sides of the truck? I've considered doing it but I'm a lil worried that I might end up with more door dings than I already have...

P.J 11-11-2006 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by bnold (Post 1204280)
Fishing line for me then a lot of rubbing for the goo...

Simple as that.

I used WD-40, I've heard of all kinds of goo removal techniques, which are good or bad I can't tell you. Get some fresh wax on there after you do it though.

clutch1 11-11-2006 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar440_6 (Post 1204773)
Not to hijack but did you guys who debadged your trucks also remove the rubber bumpers running along the sides of the truck? I've considered doing it but I'm a lil worried that I might end up with more door dings than I already have...

Just park with us heavy haulers far away from others.:cool: