Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   What's the best thread sealer compatible with diesel fuel? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/whats-best-thread-sealer-compatible-diesel-fuel-156130/)

Tommy93w350 06-18-2007 08:37 PM

What's the best thread sealer compatible with diesel fuel?

I'm installing a Holley Blue fuel pump at the tank and I'm using brass 3/8 fittings. What's the best thread sealer to use on the threads to prevent leaks?
Would teflon work? I heard diesel fuel would discinergerate teflon, is thet true. Should I use Loctite?

Dshiftff 06-18-2007 08:44 PM

go to the hardware store and get the teflon tape that comes in the yellow plastic roll. fuel oil safe. its commonly used for natural gas fittings also.

leprechaun 06-18-2007 09:43 PM

You could also use Permatex #2.I used this on all the fittings when installing my fuel pressure gauge and it worked well.

oldblues 06-18-2007 09:45 PM

hi
i use the pipe dope < white paist stuff with teflon in a bottle or tube >

if you yse the tape it can tear off and a piece get in someware it is not suppose to , but the pipe dope will not block any orfices it will simply be pushed or washed away But it Will seal threads perfectly !

had a bolt seaping oil at the vac pump recently an doped it up an leak gone !
ps makes removal easier also !

TOMTOM 06-18-2007 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by oldblues (Post 1559789)
hi
i use the pipe dope < white paist stuff with teflon in a bottle or tube >

if you yse the tape it can tear off and a piece get in someware it is not suppose to , but the pipe dope will not block any orfices it will simply be pushed or washed away But it Will seal threads perfectly !

had a bolt seaping oil at the vac pump recently an doped it up an leak gone !
ps makes removal easier also !

THATS WHAT I USE. SO FAR THE BEST ON EVERYTHING (GASOLINE TOO)
TOMMY

infidel 06-19-2007 09:31 AM

Permatex #2 by far.
Yellow teflon tape may work but the problem is if you ever have to take things apart the tape debris left in female fittings is near impossible to clean out completely unless you take everything totally apart.
I can only imagine how well a piece of teflon would plug an injector...

SIXSLUG 06-19-2007 12:30 PM

Yeah, I would imagine the teflon tape would/could cause potential problems for the fuel system. I used it to stop a small leak on my tranny fill plug and it worked fine(the yellow stuff). Pipe dope could maybe get pushed thru an injector but it seems like its made from clay or something and this could be 'gritty'. Permatex #2 sounds like the best choice here. Just my .02 ,Kurt

CarlJensen 06-19-2007 03:35 PM

I use the Permatex copper anti seize, does a good job and high temp tolerant also.

ironbutt 06-19-2007 08:58 PM

I've always used either Permatex pipe dope, or Hercules grip or grip lite. both are rated for fuel oil water /steam and gas.

BigBlue 06-19-2007 11:16 PM

I get some permatex stuff from napa and it says on the back it's good for fuels and diesel.

wcbcruzer 07-07-2007 03:07 PM

Hey guys, I've seen several different kinds of Permatex #2, 2A, 2B, 2C, and just 2 (white). What's the difference?

tony597fitter 07-07-2007 04:30 PM

Permalok or Permabond, if you can find it. I get it for work from the supply house. Costs $80 for a quart. But its the best stuff out there.
My shop pukes blood everytime I order it.

Tate 07-07-2007 11:37 PM

I use Permatex thread sealant on all that. Like was said, teflon tape shreds and will go through the system and potentially cause a blockage. Remember to keep the first two threads clean, no sealant. This way it is much more difficult to get any stray sealant into the system.

D2 Cat 07-09-2007 08:26 AM

Telfon tape may be fine on your house water line but don't use the tape on any plumbing with critical factors, like tractor/truck hyd. pumps & injectors. One little stray piece will cost you!!!

dillrepair 09-25-2012 11:35 AM

i have had a big problem with the TFE paste... it has not worked on my cat filter located after the DDRP. one boating diesel site recommends permatex aviation form a gasket number 3... which i will be trying next and i'll let you know. i agree about staying away from the tape. everything i've read says you can screw up your pump or injectors if a piece breaks free.