2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Whats the best Steering Gearbox replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doj Dewd
are you sure it's not just lifetime parts & labour on the box itself? i've never heard of a company that gives warranty on the install/removal of the part itself.

i thought they just warranty their own parts, and any flaws in the manufacturing process caused by their own labour . . . .
The shop said that I could bring it in anytime and parts and labor are covered. I may have to pay for synthetic fluid but that is all. My understanding is that Cardone makes this offer when the part is installed by a certified shop. Also, I may have a problem as I won't have a core if the box goes bad and I want to go with Redhead.

It would be really good to have someone with long term experience on a redhead box post their results. All I've seen are hopeful responses from those that have recently installed OR ONLY TALKED with Harvey.

I was hopeful when I got my new AGR. Now I'm only disappointed and tired (and out MANY more dollars than expected and WAY beyond reasonable).
Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Well I have a 96 Ram 2500 & the steering pump is leaking. Is a rebuild kit available from either Chrysler or Cummins?
Old 02-06-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by b1mmuo27
Well I have a 96 Ram 2500 & the steering pump is leaking. Is a rebuild kit available from either Chrysler or Cummins?
seems to me that a new/rebuilt pump was under 100$, its been a couple of yrs since mine was replaced, it might even have been 60-80$, not many people rebuild their PS pumps, not worth the grief.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:55 PM

I called NAPA & it is $80 but if I want the reservoir it's $110. Thanks
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
It would be really good to have someone with long term experience on a redhead box post their results. All I've seen are hopeful responses from those that have recently installed OR ONLY TALKED with Harvey.
Agreed, I've been getting a bit frustrated with people praising a shop without having actually done business with them. I've been burned in the past by this because I take some peoples word on a shop when they really don't have the experience to review it in the first place. I've found very few places that don't make you feel warm and fuzzy leading up to the transaction, not all of them follow through in the long run though .

I will say red head gear got back to me EXTREMELY fast and their price for a rebuild is very reasonable at $286.

At this point I just want a steering box that doesn't have the tolerances of a bobble head right out of the box .

Also I didn't really think about it until the other day, but I've done business with Maval Manufacturing before. I actually have the PS Rack out of my RX7 at their shop right now being converted to Manual. They are a great business and I've been very happy with the quality of their work. For FD RX7's they are the place to go when you need a PS rack converted to manual, so there are many good reviews from that crowd. Might be worth checking into, I'm going to send them an email and see how much they would charge to rebuild my steering box.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 PM

try this as I know the owner and he makes a good product. Bulk of his business is commercial rigs, but I believe he also does small units such as pickups. Website is: http://www.straightlinesteering.com/
Old 02-09-2010, 06:25 PM

I've had my redhead for a year, so far so good. At least I know it was rebuilt by pro's and just not returned to factory spec at some rebuild factory. It only cost me ~$100 over a standard rebuild and is tighter than stock.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
I've had my redhead for a year, so far so good. At least I know it was rebuilt by pro's and just not returned to factory spec at some rebuild factory. It only cost me ~$100 over a standard rebuild and is tighter than stock.
That's good. How many miles? Do you have a steering brace?

FWIW, Harvey @ redhead said that the 3rd gen boxes also had problems but talk to him for his current take before anyone makes a decision.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:45 AM

I've only had my Redhead box a little while now...a few thousand miles on the Redhead now but it was tighter than when the truck was new right out of the box. Had several "other" rebuilts from the part companies and they were all WORSE that the one I took off with 150,000 miles on it last year. I have the DSS and now with this box my truck drives like a dream...even when you hit those huge pot holes going 70mph.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:16 PM

+1 to Don't get an AGR. Brain dead penny pinchers put the wrong type of bearings in mine (shell bearings) and they all failed. Cheezy snapring on sector shaft failed, puked seal. NO BRAKES NO STEERING! Loads of fun. Flatbed tow home.