2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Whats the best Steering Gearbox replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Whats the best Steering Gearbox replacement

Yet again I have noticed that my steering is starting to get a little loose and have narrowed it down to the gearbox. I have replaced the Steering gearbox once before but only 20,000 miles ago! I purchaced the last gearbox as a reman from the local CarQuest store.

Does any one have any suggestions as to where I can get a GOOD replacement steering gearbox with out spending a ton of money? I do have a DSS Steering Stabilizer on my truck which I believe has made a huge drivability improvement since installed some 60,000 miles ago. I'm just getting tired of the loose steering feeling.

Thanks,
AgTech 4020
Old 01-02-2010, 10:31 AM

Go here and buy the bracket and pick up a third gen with pittman arm and input shaft knuckle. This will also give you a 12 to 1 ratio
Old 01-02-2010, 10:52 AM

I am still deciding on what box to use for my replacement.
Its either between a Red-Head box with a quicker ratio or a third gen box.
But will a DSS fit the third gen box conversion?
It it doesn't then your left with the same crappy flaw from the factory.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:40 PM

I just replaced mine. Money is always short, so I picked one up at advance. Since I have the brace on my truck, I am banking on it providing a little longer life. The one I pulled off I think was the original. I am the second owner and 282k, it is like night and day between the two boxes. If it is the original and it lasted this long and with no brace, then a reman with a brace should last just as long if not longer.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Banned

Do not go to AGR. I t would be nice if someone would post results of redhead box with thuren crossover steering. I have a Cardone reman with a lifetime parts and labor that replaced the AGR trash. (Trash swapped for trash but I won't have to do the wrenching on future installations.)
Old 01-05-2010, 11:43 AM

Go here, www.pscmotorsports.com
Old 01-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Can't do a PSC...

"The boxes have a 1 year warranty and due to the design of the suspension and
weight of the truck we actually quit building these gears as they are prone
to leaks and wearing out the bearings.
We can repair the box if you send it to us. We do charge for parts and a
small amount of labor to fix them but it is relatively cheap.

Kelvin Jackson
PSC Motorsports
817-270-0102"

This is what my buddy got when he asked about his leaking a year and a half after he installed it!

I run the lifetime NAPA units... they do the job!

Nick
Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nick660
Can't do a PSC...

This is what my buddy got when he asked about his leaking a year and a half after he installed it!

I run the lifetime NAPA units... they do the job!

Nick
then again has anybody ever had luck with "rebuilt" units! I had gone trought several rebuilt ones and my sttering never changed. They carry the Brand New units now.

In the end it's still gonna be a stock gear box.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by txarrowhunter
then again has anybody ever had luck with "rebuilt" units! I had gone trought several rebuilt ones and my sttering never changed. They carry the Brand New units now.

In the end it's still gonna be a stock gear box.
Yeah I agree! His PSC was nice when it wasn't leaking! I don't know who makes one similar to the PSC, and isn't just a rebuilt unit!

I just know that NAPA stands behind their box, and for the price, it's hard to beat!

Nick
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
For me, Harvey at Redhead steering gear was actually within 15 bucks of NAPA's price on a box. And when I got the first one, they are quality units, no crap parts inside or out.

For the money, I would rather buy once. Also, because my time is worth something, and I don't need to be changing boxes all the time. I won't mention the fact that I went through 4 ( yes four ) NAPA rebuilt boxes on an 05, before I gave up and went with Redhead.

Just thought munchies.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by pind
For me, Harvey at Redhead steering gear was actually within 15 bucks of NAPA's price on a box. And when I got the first one, they are quality units, no crap parts inside or out.

For the money, I would rather buy once. Also, because my time is worth something, and I don't need to be changing boxes all the time. I won't mention the fact that I went through 4 ( yes four ) NAPA rebuilt boxes on an 05, before I gave up and went with Redhead.

Just thought munchies.

I'll second Readhead. I'm replacing mine next month with one. If you talk to them on the phone they don't try to blow a bunch of smoke, they tell exactly what they do when they rebuild them and won't try to sell you junk you don't need. They also offer a 15:1 box if you want one also.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 PM

Thanks for the fantastic suggestions, I will be looking into a couple of the options before I make my decision.

AgTech 4020
Old 02-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by oudive
I just replaced mine. Money is always short, so I picked one up at advance. Since I have the brace on my truck, I am banking on it providing a little longer life. The one I pulled off I think was the original. I am the second owner and 282k, it is like night and day between the two boxes. If it is the original and it lasted this long and with no brace, then a reman with a brace should last just as long if not longer.
I just replaced mine with a rebuild from a parts plus (probably from the same place advance gets theirs) and it already has as much deflection as the worn out OEM unit. The build quality and tolerances on some (cough*most*cough) of these rebuilt units is just horrendous, the truck honestly feels WORSE than when I brought it in to have the old worn out box replaced. I think I might give it one more go and get this box swapped out with another rebuilt unit (it has a lifetime warranty) but if that one is loose AT ALL I'll probably spend the money on a better replacement.

I only say this because if the steering gear is loose right out of the box (like mine, and many others that I've read about) it doesn't matter if you put a brace on it, it will still feel loose and be a POS.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JHew84
I just replaced mine with a rebuild from a parts plus (probably from the same place advance gets theirs) and it already has as much deflection as the worn out OEM unit. The build quality and tolerances on some (cough*most*cough) of these rebuilt units is just horrendous, the truck honestly feels WORSE than when I brought it in to have the old worn out box replaced. I think I might give it one more go and get this box swapped out with another rebuilt unit (it has a lifetime warranty) but if that one is loose AT ALL I'll probably spend the money on a better replacement.

I only say this because if the steering gear is loose right out of the box (like mine, and many others that I've read about) it doesn't matter if you put a brace on it, it will still feel loose and be a POS.
I'm only waiting for some long term results from someone that went with Redhead. My reman isn't the greatest but it had lifetime parts & labor meaning that i wouldn't be doing the changing. I'll probably have it changed the next time my tires are balanced (at a different shop of course). Pretty bad when a box swap is as common as an oil change (synthetic).
Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 PM

are you sure it's not just lifetime parts & labour on the box itself? i've never heard of a company that gives warranty on the install/removal of the part itself.

i thought they just warranty their own parts, and any flaws in the manufacturing process caused by their own labour . . . .

Quick Reply: Whats the best Steering Gearbox replacement