2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

How to disable ABS light......

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to disable ABS light......

My ABS module has gone bad and I don't have the money to replace it right now. Is there any way to turn off the light? I've pulled the fuse but that didn't help. It's almost time for my safety inspection and I'm sure my truck will not pass if my ABS light is on. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Pull the bulb out of the inst cluster should do it.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by shaft
My ABS module has gone bad and I don't have the money to replace it right now. Is there any way to turn off the light? I've pulled the fuse but that didn't help. It's almost time for my safety inspection and I'm sure my truck will not pass if my ABS light is on. Any input is greatly appreciated.
They can fail you if the brake light is on, but not for an abs light. I understand this to be all 50 states.

I bought a used ABS computer at a local junk yard for a real reasonable price. Check www.car-parts.com if interested. This site can access most junk yards in the US, starting closest to you.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hodge
They can fail you if the brake light is on, but not for an abs light. I understand this to be all 50 states.

I bought a used ABS computer at a local junk yard for a real reasonable price. Check www.car-parts.com if interested. This site can access most junk yards in the US, starting closest to you.
Thank you for the suggestion.

How do I know if its the module or the pump? The ABS motor will keep on running if I leave the fuse in. The dealer told me that I need to replace both electronic and mechanical part if one goes bad.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 PM

I unplugged my module. Kind of hard to get to on a '97, but the light is off.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hodge
How can you fail if the state has no required inspection?
Old 09-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Copenhagenjunkie
How can you fail if the state has no required inspection?
I have D plates (12k GVWR) and it requires a saftey inspection.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:17 PM

If you open up the fuse/relay box next to your abs pump unit, it has a relay just for the ABS light,remove the relay and the light is off. However it will not turn off the brake light if it is on with the ABS light
Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 PM

Hi GAmes can you help me get my 97 light out?

Originally Posted by GAmes
I unplugged my module. Kind of hard to get to on a '97, but the light is off.
I must have a inspection here in BC and the light is on I have tried to figure it out ie:sensor, wires, but still comes on and I have heard it isn't very good to have on anyway. I have only Rear ABS.

Have read the ABS box is infront of the gear shifter but I have a airbag there I think SRS sytem. If not I geuss I will pull the instrument cluster out and remove the bulb. The inspection here in Canada BC is totally ****.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Power_2
I must have a inspection here in BC and the light is on I have tried to figure it out ie:sensor, wires, but still comes on and I have heard it isn't very good to have on anyway. I have only Rear ABS.

Have read the ABS box is infront of the gear shifter but I have a airbag there I think SRS sytem. If not I geuss I will pull the instrument cluster out and remove the bulb. The inspection here in Canada BC is totally ****.

Thanks
Remove the knee bolster under the steering column. The module is indeed in front of the shifter, but behind the dash. Shine a light in there and you will see the wire connector on top of the module. Takes a little dexterity and a few choice words, but it will come off.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 PM

With out the abs wire repaired on my truck , the brakes were $hit. How that I have found were the short was and repaired it I have good brakes again. They all ways were in need of something ,but The factory brakes are sub standard and with out abs they are a lot worse.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Don T
With out the abs wire repaired on my truck , the brakes were $hit. How that I have found were the short was and repaired it I have good brakes again. They all ways were in need of something ,but The factory brakes are sub standard and with out abs they are a lot worse.
Could be the difference in vacuum boost and hydroboost. I have zero complaints about my brakes. I like it a lot better with the ABS disabled.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM

Thanks GAmes,
You have a 97 as well right?
Light still on but cannot insure it till I get the pass from an inspection the seller neglected to mention. So I am stuck with way more work than I needed or bargained for. Say la V...I guess.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So unplugging the module didn't work? I would still pull the bulb.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Hi Lil Dog,

I haven't pulled the plug on it yet. I have limited time but hope to fix it either way soon.
Thanks to the advice/assistance of the ppl here.

Quick Reply: How to disable ABS light......