2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wet sanding

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found Clay Magic to work better than Mother's clay bar.

The idiots at my wife's shop managed to get overspray on her entire 2003 Jetta. It was black paint and the Jetta was black and I didn't notice until I washed the car one afternoon. It felt like 400 grit sand paper Clay Magic worked but it took more time than removing the typical grime every six to twelve months. IMO, it was better for me to do it than have a detailer with a buffer, none of which I trust.

The only drawback seems to be that the lubricant does not last as long as the clay and I have not found a lubricant that works as well as that included with the kit.

About two years ago I did my truck, Clay Magic, then the three step system by Mequire's...it took a full day and my shoulders hurt for a week!

Clay Magic sure makes wax/polish go down nice and I won't do either without using clay first.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by pappyman
I have wet sanded paint jobs that I've done because of little nits in the paint.....I use 2000 grit wet/dry paper and keep water running over it while sanding......after that I buff it with 3M diamond cut compound
I dont put clear coat on my paint jobs but I put on about 7-8 coats of paint and they shine better then clear coat
I was just wandering if you could clarify what you meant by no clear i assume you are talking about either laquer, acrylic, urethane single stage?

And if so where is your polish you cant just get a quality finish with just a compound. And did you mean" Meguiars Diamond Cut Compund" I dont think 3M makes that name.
The diamond cut is mainly for high solids and Claim to have LOW swirls, meaning you will have to come behind it with a swirl remover or a good polish to remove the scratches from the compound.

Just a couple of questions.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:00 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by dezlsmkr
I was just wandering if you could clarify what you meant by no clear i assume you are talking about either laquer, acrylic, urethane single stage?

And if so where is your polish you cant just get a quality finish with just a compound. And did you mean" Meguiars Diamond Cut Compund" I dont think 3M makes that name.
The diamond cut is mainly for high solids and Claim to have LOW swirls, meaning you will have to come behind it with a swirl remover or a good polish to remove the scratches from the compound.

Just a couple of questions.
I use Acrylic with a hardener......3M may not make the Diamond cut any more I have 3 gals of it that I bought from a body shop auction.....the final step to bring out a high shine that I use is to buff with Meguiars swirl compound before putting on any polish or wax

I guess I'm still a old school painter I believe in using muilt coats of paint rather then base coat clear coat paint jobs
Old 06-27-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And did you mean" Meguiars Diamond Cut Compund" I dont think 3M makes that name.

FYI....3M owns Meguiars...same product.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:15 AM

I mix my car wash detergent in a 10 to 1 ratio with water for a clay bar lube...just put it in a spray bottle. I have seen people at car shows using Windex as a clay bar lube...don't know if it will affect the paint or not.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:13 AM

FYI....3M owns Meguiars...same product.

For YOUR information i suggest you find a new source of information. I think maybe you should look up 3M yourself and give them a call as i did, only to find out the that is very untrue.

"We have no affiliation with meguires they are there own company"

Came directly from a 3M rep.

I use Acrylic with a hardener......3M may not make the Diamond cut any more I have 3 gals of it that I bought from a body shop auction.....the final step to bring out a high shine that I use is to buff with Meguiars swirl compound before putting on any polish or wax
Oh ok wasn't trying to be ingorent just wandering what all you used. I pointed out the meguires thing so if someone wanted to use the same stuff as you they would know what to ask for.
I used to always paint with single stage i agree it should can shine. Did you paint those motorcycles in your gallery?
Old 06-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Chapter President

For YOUR information i suggest you find a new source of information. I think maybe you should look up 3M yourself and give them a call as i did, only to find out the that is very untrue.

Oh ok wasn't trying to be ingorent just wandering what all you used. I pointed out the meguires thing so if someone wanted to use the same stuff as you they would know what to ask for.
I used to always paint with single stage i agree it should can shine. Did you paint those motorcycles in your gallery?

Yes I did.....I always paint the single color paint jobs anything else I send to a body shop freind to do for me.....I use NAPA paint that way a customer can just go to NAPA and give me the paint number he wants his bike painted
Old 06-27-2005, 10:14 AM

They came out looking really good. I think single stage is easier to paint. The BC/CC seems to have more work invovled. JMO
Old 06-27-2005, 05:31 PM

I find this very interesting as each companies products use the same part number for a given product. And, if you were to open for example, Meguiars #7 and a container of 3M 39007 you would find they are in fact the same product. Same smell, same texture and same result when used properly.

I think there's more to it than the rep you spoke with is letting on.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:15 PM

I should say that you too should ask around then. Maybe you would find out the they are infact not the same product whatsoever i am sure if you contacted mequiers or 3m you would find they either one have no affilation.

I know alot of things the look just like another product and in fact is not even remotely linked.

I dont understand why you would assume the 3M company is witholding something. Part numbers dont mean didly. So its a say for example 4560 and another company is a p4560 and another is 2-4560 that means there all linked?

Well if that is the case there are very few manufactueres out there huh?
Old 06-28-2005, 05:00 PM

Well, I stand corrected.

Dear Doug,

3M doesn't own any part of Meguiar's. Barry Meguiar's is the sole owner of his company. If you have any further questions or concerns please fill free to give me a call. Thank you.

Shane Lariba
Meguiar's Inc.
800-854-8073 ext 138
Just for the record...I don't assume anything (including whether you were right or wrong). As you can see I contacted Mequiar's directly.

But I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong and apologize. That being said...I apologize.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:49 PM

I think this may have been taken a little far i am not a gloater nor is it even a big deal to me. If you were to find out that they were linked i would have been way more concerned as why 3M lied to me.

I dont think what you said requiers an apoligy. i have my own beliefs on things and alot of times i am wrong. Its no big deal and if i came off like i was trying to prove you wrong for some kind of personal ego boost i apoligize that was not the case.

Anyway thanks for contacting mequiers if the subject would ever arize again i think there wouldn't be any dispute (or atleast i hope not).

Anyway again sorry if i came off like that.