2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

weird wireing harness connection broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird wireing harness connection broken

had some damage to my wheel well so took it off and found this broken connection in the wiring harness that sits behind the driver side wheel well.

there's sort of a powder in there, no actual wire that I can make out... is that corroded copper or what? any ideas what this connection is involved with or how to reconnect it?

Old 08-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
That is a badly corroded connection. You will need to remove the pin from the connector plug and its likley not salvageable. If so you will need a new electrical pin and a rubber grommet. I would also take a closer look at both sides of the connector as it's not common to have corrosion in just one terminal.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:27 PM

I was thinking I could splice it with some sort of spade connector or something, but I've been trying to get down to clean metal and there doesn't seem to be anything to actually attach to inside the hole on the plastic harness...
I tried pulling one of the other wires just see what the connection looks like but they are in there pretty solid.
any other suggestions?
Old 08-16-2017, 07:26 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Without replacing the entire connector, you need to find the other side of that connection, cut it off of the connector and do a permanent repair. Don't bother with a spade connector...they are not weather tight and will give you the same problem. Minimum would be a heat shrink butt splice, coat splice with dielectric grease before sealing. Soldering is preferable if possible.
The following users liked this post:
Kerley (06-11-2018)
Old 08-16-2017, 08:42 PM

in the top picture, there's a loose red wire (out of focus in the foreground). It goes in the hole in the harness behind it that has the blue/green corrosion residue. the 2nd pic just shows the end of the "wire". Thing is, I tried to scratch off the corrosion but can't quite tell what it's really meant to look like.
I can't make out any way that there would be a physical connection there. There is no pin or hole that a pin would fit in or any other apparent way of making the connection. It's like it was formed with some sort of glue or something that has corroded away. Is there such thing as conductive glue? If not, someone should invent it...

Originally Posted by gorms
Without replacing the entire connector, you need to find the other side of that connection, cut it off of the connector and do a permanent repair. Don't bother with a spade connector...they are not weather tight and will give you the same problem. Minimum would be a heat shrink butt splice, coat splice with dielectric grease before sealing. Soldering is preferable if possible.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:52 PM

this??
https://smile.amazon.com/0-3ML-Silve...onductive+glue
Old 08-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Banned

Your problem likley started with the torn rubber grommet that you can clearly see in both pictures. If you unhook the the wiring harness at its connection and look into the connector in question I am nearlly certain you will see what is left of your corroded connection still inside the connector.

Just like an exhaust manifold stud where the exhaust attaches to the manifold, after enough corrosion takes place you can no longer see that it once had threads on it as it has rusted away to something unrecognizable.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by arroyojim
Your overthinking this whole thing their is nothing weird about this what so ever. We see this all the time on wiring on anything from trucks to trailers. It's corrosion nothing more nothing less.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:09 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You can order replacement connector thru Chrysler be prepared to pay upwards of $100 for new connector. Or you can hardwire and do away with the connector altogether.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:52 PM

I would like to hardwire, but I'm not quite savvy enough to decode the FSM wiring diagrams and figure out what the heck it's for... I think it may just be a trailer wire, but will need to run some tests to figure out.

I don't know how I'd replace the connector as I don't understand the nature of the physical connection between the wires and the harness/connector. I tried to pull one of the other wires out to see how it attaches and it did not want to budge. whatever it is, it does seem like it was designed to be repairable...

Originally Posted by BigIron70
You can order replacement connector thru Chrysler be prepared to pay upwards of $100 for new . Or you can hardwire and do away with the connector altogether.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Is there a reason you can not get to the other side of the plug?? Like mentioned, if you can snip the wire off of the otherside in the same slot just do that, then use two vulcanizing butt splices and a little extra legnth of wire, cut out ALL the green corrosion, crimp the wires together and then heat the butt splice to collapse the vulcanizing shrink tube over the splice.

Splices like these:

https://www.delcity.net/store/Heat-S...ctors/p_805403

I use the splices all the time @ work for corroded wires just like yours on our plow trucks for the county.