2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

weird acting cruise

Old 05-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird acting cruise

My cruise control on my new, to me 94 2500 4x4 works but sometimes when i hit bumpy areas in the road it will slow down then when the road smooths out it will pick right back up. It is like you just let off the throttle then right back on. It's kind of nice in a weird way, but kind of think there may be a short or something in it. Also sometimes it won't work at all until I lift up on the brake pedal. Could these be related? Maybe a brake light switch adjustment?

Old 05-10-2003, 07:33 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Re:weird actinc cruise

Not familier with your exact system but will hazard a guess at a couple of possibilities. First, don't confuse a 'short' with a bad connection. Most non-technical (not saying you are) folks automatically call any electrical glitch a 'short'. If it was a true short you would probably blow a fuse or maybe see some lights flicker when this happens.<br>I would suspect two possibilities. I'm temporarily ignoring the possibility of bad componants. Check your electrical connections to the cruise, specially the plug at the control. Then check all vacuum lines for deteriation, cracks or just plain loose. If all that checks out then you may have a bad unit. Somebody else would have to tell you what to do if that is the case.<br>Let us know what you did to resolve the problem.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:47 PM

Re:weird acting cruise

I will have to check it out I understand what you are saying about short -vs- bad connection. I wasn't sure if it was maybe common for the cruise to act this way on these trucks. Mainly by the difference in how the accelerator pedal seems to work, just a different feel to it. When I hit the set button it jumps on very fast doesn't accelerate but just a little surge to let you know that it is on. I figure mainly because of this I have a good vacum scource for the system. But yes it could be a loose connection. I'll give it a closer inspection tommorrow. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:13 PM

To tell you the truth I think you answered you own question or at least part of it. The brake switch is either out of adjustment or going bad. Try that before you chase down connections that are probably still good.<br><br>John<br><br>
Old 05-12-2003, 03:37 PM

Every cruise control problem I ever had on both my 95's was vaccum related. The plastic vac lines that go to the cruise module run under the left side battery. Acid gets on the lines and eats holes in them. Then weird stuff starts happening.<br><br>Pull your battery and the tray nd closley examine the vac lines. If they are shot replace with rubber ones. Whalla, problem solved. Maybe!!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:08 PM

Somebody beat me to the rubber lines for the servo, i guess that has allready been fixed. I believe it is the brake switch. It is just hard to troubleshoot it while sitting in the shop, even harder driving down the road with the cruise on laying in the floor. It is working and once while working on my trailer lights my brake lights stuck on. Also is there a light on the dash that lets you know when the cruise is on? If there is mine doesn't work.