2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Walking front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update

My track bar was fine...the loosenes at the axle end was due to Dodge leaving a piece of slag from welding at the bolt hole which kept the bolt from seating. Something to look for if your axle end is sloppy.

Haven't had a chance to really test it yet on the highway at speed.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't got my Stuff from SS yet. I have to check the bus depot. I was hoping to have the gear to go in this weekend. The track bar was here in 2 days.

I can put them in seperately and test.. That shouldn't be too hard. I will do the DTB upgrade first.. Go for a rid then slip in the DSS.

I will provide a full report..

J-eh
Old 06-04-2004, 10:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
True. it wasn't cheap, but I am VERY happy I went with the DTPROFAB track bar. It's just the best if you don't need a mag-hytec cover (which I don't). My old one wasn't worn out-- I ruined it peeling apart my front end doing the leveling kit. Operator error entirely.

I looked at a lot of other track bar options. The DT won because it was adjustable, it was beefy, and it was a superior design all around! Instead of skirting the issue, the DT bar FIXES WHAT"S WRONG. The Heim joints that they use are strong and precise while allowing easy axle movement up and down.

If you're interested in other alternatives, Skyjacker has an adjustable bar that's much cheaper than the DT bar (and it shows). Luke's link is a good band-aid, but it doesn't fix what's wrong with the bar-- the orientation of the pivot. The 3rd gen trucks have the proper design with a longitudinal pivot. The 2nd gen trucks have that crappy vertical pivot, which is perfect if you're moving the axle fore and aft!! But we're concerned with up and down primarily, and the OEM design misses the mark entirely- they can only get away with it because the design the suspension to not move (horrible ride quality) so the axle can't strain the track bar's frame mount as much.

If you plan on USING your truck and actually cycling the suspension to the bump stops, then the DT bar is the only way to go. With all other choices, you'll be doing the work of fixing the bar again.

JMHO

jlh
Old 06-18-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DTB Installed

Darrin's Track Bar Kit is on my truck. Very nice difference!

As I stated before, my stock 02 trackbar was not terrible but starting to loosen up. Would not have been surprised to "feel" no difference.

That last little bit of straight line tracking (hands off - stays where it's pointed) is now there. Didn't even know it was missing.

Also feels much tighter, smoother and softer on bumps.

Am glad I used a friends garage with a lift...not as easy as it first looked to me to get Darrin's bracket mounted. But most add ons never are, IMO.

The 03 trackbar is impressive; this track bar combo really should last a loooong time.

RJ
Old 06-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have gotten both of the DSS and 03TB upgrade in and all I can say is WOW.

I will start another thread once I get my thoughts together. Very impressed with the results so far.

J-eh
Old 06-22-2004, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by HOHN
If you're interested in other alternatives, Skyjacker has an adjustable bar that's much cheaper than the DT bar (and it shows).
I'll second that. I have the Skyjacker track bar and I wouldn't recommend it, even at $160 cheaper than the DT Profab unit.

I just replaced the Heim joint at the axle end (it was worn out, <2 years, 30K miles) with a 3/4X5/8 Heim. Part of the problem was that the Skyjacker bar comes with a 1/2" bolt for the 12MM(?) hole in the axle end. Had a lot of movement and "egged" out the hole, so I drilled it out for a 5/8" bolt. The frame end adjustment uses a cam bolt and it sucks too. Had a hard time getting it tight enough to stop moving. I also had to cut 1/2" off the end of the bar, even with a 5.5" lift.

Just about got it dialed in now. My truck is going on the rack this weekend, just replaced all of the ball joints and tie rod ends up front, new front tires are going on as well.