2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Walking front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 3rd gen track bar, if you look close, doesn't use a ball joint to connect to the truck frame. It has an eye connection at the end similar to the one on the axle to eliminate the ball joint. Obviously Dodge knows that was a problem and eliminated it, that being the ball joint.

J-eh
Old 05-17-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oredered my Luke's Link Saturday after talking to Johnny Laucus and it is here today! He made me feel pretty confident this is a good thing to put on. He states he sells to the Chrysler dealerships the link to fix the track bar.

Too bad Chrylser won't put out a recall!
Old 05-20-2004, 07:33 AM

Studpid question here but if u go with the 3rd gen track bar.Do you order 2wd or 4wd?I might end up going this route.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Chapter President

No stupid questions here...

4WD... I looked at my brother-in-laws 04, and it looks like a beefier bar too. I just have to price out the bar.. I am a little leary of the wrecking yard..

J-eh
Old 05-21-2004, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't think there is any difference on the 2x4 and 4x4 track bar on the 03's or the 04's. I have ordered Darrin's Track Bar Kit from Canada and was checking part # and price for the newer trackbar. Was told 03+04 are the same part # and not asked about 2 or 4 whl drive...so assume all the same. Very strong looking track bar... see news menu at http://www.solidsteel.ca/. as mentioned by Dodgeram, above.

Also, DTB Kit is only after market track bar that fits over a Mag Hy-Tec cover.

C Chaplin...Seriously consider the DSS - Steering Stabilizer at above web site. You don't mention how many miles on your truck but I installed mine at 20,000 miles and noticed a big difference. They are excellent!
Good Luck

Rowland
Old 05-21-2004, 05:13 PM

CORRECTION !

Track Bars are on 4X4's only. 2X4's have independent suspension and no need of a track bar!
What I meant to say above was All 03's & 04's that have a track bar, have the same one. Part # = 52106795AC; Cost = $245.00 US full retail.
Sorry for previous brain malfunction!
Rowland
Old 05-24-2004, 11:27 PM
Chapter President

Thanks for posting the part #... I was just out today to look at my current track bar and its in baaad shape.. I have to do this upgrade sooner than I thought.

I also was contemplating the stabilizer.. I thing both are in order...

J-eh
Old 05-25-2004, 07:58 AM

Lil Dog

Double check that part # when you order. Think it's right but was bad background noise when the guy gave it to me. Assume it's correct - Marv at Solid Steel said they are about $200 US. Are Dodge Parts any cheaper in Canada? I get up that way 2-3 times a year. Where is Wildcat-ville?
Rowland
Old 05-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Chapter President

rjohnson

The part number was correct and the bar is gonna be here on Thursday. The bar lists for $325 CAD, maybe less if you know somebody, dunno.. I spent about 1 hour talking to the parts guy about it as he has seen the DSS but not this new bracket idea. Pulled up the website on his computer and he was all game to see the install after I have it all in.

Also ordered both the DSS and the 03 bar bracket from Darin today and I hope to get the parts either on the weekend or early next week. (Ask Darin about his special for buying both products)

Wildcat ville.. Well since Sask is huge and only has about 250,000 people (joking) they are all neighbors..

Pull up mapquest.com and put in Nipawin, Saskatchewan(Wildcat).. Then put in Weyburn.. not really that close..LOL..

J-eh
Old 05-26-2004, 12:41 PM

LilDog. Please let us know how it goes. I believe I'm looking at the same fix(s).

Then again I might get cheap and do a Luke's link.....hmmmm
Old 05-26-2004, 04:51 PM

Lil Dog

How many miles/km on your " baaad shape" track bar. I'm at 40,000 miles and it's just showing play or slop. Do you have any handling or steering problems?
Old 05-27-2004, 11:23 PM
Chapter President

I have some severe, well what I call severe handling problems with my truck. I have about 155,000 Km or about 97,000 miles on the truck.

I actually found the problem after I bought new tires. I thought I had a loose tire or broken belts in a tire by the way it handles. If you are at any type of speed over town, if you need to swerve or make a lane change it acts like you are on water. The whole truck sorta shifts to the left or right and then grabs, its like you have all flat tires. It sucks in the wind or passing on the highway. It also seems to get worse with a load in the box.

Hard to control, I need to feel the road, especially in winter. A momentary loss of traction would be something I want to feel and react to.

So after having the tire store change all the new rubber over to another set, I found that this is the root of the problem. Uhhhh Ooops..

If I stand just outside of the truck enought to reach the steering wheel, I can see the joint move. Its gotta be at least 1/8th of an inch..

I am still waiting on the parts.... Eagerly I might add..

On a side topic: Since I use my truck for work and is a corporate vehicle, I was advised not to do the link repair route. Tampering with the joint may get me in trouble at an inspection facility. This bracket assembly goes under the catagory of a suspension lift or similar system and should not raise any flags. FWIW..

J-eh
Old 05-28-2004, 01:47 AM

I took a look at mine tonight while the wife moved teh wheel back and forth. I was suspecting a trackbar. Heck..that's the only joint that seems tight. The joint at the pitman arm seems kinda sloppy. The sector shaft? coming out of the steering box moves around too. Neither of these seem extremely worn to my untrained eye, but any movement there has to be magnified as you work downstream to the wheels.

I'm thinking a Lukes link at the pitman arm and a DSS stabilizer are in order. Truck wanders down the road, seems kinda loose when changing directions and inner and outer edge of tires are wearing with inner being greater. I know it needs an aligment to compensate for the 5K pounds on it's back, but wanted to address any loose parts first.

Any other input?
Old 06-01-2004, 03:53 PM

Lil Dog

Got my DTB (Darrins Track Bar) kit today. Veeeery heavy duty piece. 03/04 Trackbar due in tomorrow. Assume since you are closer you have your DTB?
Not my call, of course, but if you would consider doing Darin's adds one at a time - would be real interested in your response to each separately.
I was hoping mine would arrive before this past holiday (for us) weekend. Don't expect to see major difference in feel, since I have DSS already and steering feels fine - more of a preventative mx add on.
But who knows? Will let you know; please do same!
Rowland
Old 06-01-2004, 09:45 PM

That's the G3 trackbar from the dealer and darrin's brackets???

Shop said my track bar was fine, but had to "tighten the snot out of" the connection at the axle. Frame side was tight (joint). I hadn't heard of that before, but this guy knows his stuff. I still think a DSS and Luke's at the pitman arm sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply: Walking front end