Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Urgent Help With Purchase! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/urgent-help-purchase-277055/)

TheNeckasaurus 09-11-2010 06:08 PM

Urgent Help With Purchase!

Ok guys I was just about to buy a 94' with 170k on it but I found out that its salvage and has some other things with it that kind of made me not want to buy it. Anyway there is '97 2wd that looks very clean but it has 333,000 miles on it. This makes me weary, I mean even for a diesel isnt that quite a bit of miles? This is my first diesel so forgive any ignorance. Thanks guys

R.T.D.H.S.P. 09-11-2010 07:48 PM

For the engine...not at all!
For the drivetrain...I would be concerned.

With that kind of miles, you will need to check ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, shocks, tranny mount, u-joints, etc.

Now, keep in mind that being the truck is 2wd, you can probably fix all this for around $800 (doing it yourself) or around $1100-1500 (having a shop do it).

Check the tires and the wear on them. This can tell you alot about the condition of the front end components. (Are they choppy? Uneven? Etc.)

As for the engine, the only thing I would really worry about is what as known as the "53" block. This style of block was made in Mexico and is prone to cracking. The label can usually be found on the side of the engine above the oil pan on I believe the driver side? (Someone will correct me I'm sure if I'm wrong). Second thing is what is known as the Killer Dowel Pin, which is a badly designed component in the timing case which is known to back out of its spot and cause damage to the case and other components.

Check the truck in the daylight. Drive it like it yours on the testdrive. Ask a lot of questions. Ask for repair receipts. Check the fluid levels (color and smell), take your time!!!!

If you are iffy, PASS!! If you buy in a fever, there will always be something that comes along to make you wish you would have waited!!!

R.T.D.H.S.P. 09-11-2010 07:51 PM

Forgot, killer pin can easily be fixed and will not break the bank. As for the "53 block", all you can do is hope for the best. If its a 53, it make crack, or it may go another 300,000.

Hope this info is a help!

TheNeckasaurus 09-12-2010 01:16 AM

Thanks so much for the information! What about the tranny?

sheriffav8r 09-12-2010 09:47 AM

Is the engine totally original? Cummins rated it for 400,000 miles originally, but that mileage is getting kinda up there. I also would be more concerned with the tranny and drivetrain....

R.T.D.H.S.P. 09-12-2010 12:16 PM

I would say; just a guess, that the tranny has been rebuilt before...I have never seen to many with the original at that kind of milage (assuming it's an automatic).

Is it an auto or stick?

TheNeckasaurus 09-12-2010 04:58 PM

Ya its an auto. When I called the kid he didnt seem like he knew to much about the tranny

Junk Man 09-12-2010 08:45 PM

price? Just ask a bank what loan value is. Then add up the cost of replacing the front end including steering box. Note what else needs to be fixed. Subtract those costs and $1,000 for your trouble & another $500 just because of what you don't know & you'll have a decent price.

TheNeckasaurus 09-12-2010 09:38 PM