2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Trying to figure out which factory service manuals...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trying to figure out which factory service manuals...

https://techauthority.com has a service manual for my '98. It says BR. It's $99. Would that be this one?

Genos also carries the factory manuals. They show three volumes. Do you get all three? http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....r=DFSM98_PRINT

They show a BR/BE supplement. Techauthority does not show this supplement. Genos does not show the supplement separately. Does the BR/BE supplement come with the main manual? What is in the supplement?

I know there is also a 24-valve supplement but I have a 12-valve '98.

I can't seem to get the info about the manuals from either Techauthority or Genos. I just wanna know what you get.

Anyone that has bought the manual/manuals that can shed some light I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Chapter President

You don't need a manual when you have us!!
Just ask and you will receive all the info you ever wanted.
There are lots of 12v gurus on here, Wannadiesel is top in my book.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
You don't need a manual when you have us!!
Just ask and you will receive all the info you ever wanted.
There are lots of 12v gurus on here, Wannadiesel is top in my book.
I agree with him, but you could look on ebay for one. I found a deal and ordered one for my 95 for like $20.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Yeah, until you are up to your elbows in grease, and nobody is online. Its happened to me a couple of time.
Buy the manual, some of the best money I have spent.
Just call Genos in the morning and they will set you up.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by jcw74801
https://techauthority.com has a service manual for my '98. It says BR. It's $99. Would that be this one?

Genos also carries the factory manuals. They show three volumes. Do you get all three? http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....r=DFSM98_PRINT

They show a BR/BE supplement. Techauthority does not show this supplement. Genos does not show the supplement separately. Does the BR/BE supplement come with the main manual? What is in the supplement?

I know there is also a 24-valve supplement but I have a 12-valve '98.

I can't seem to get the info about the manuals from either Techauthority or Genos. I just wanna know what you get.

Anyone that has bought the manual/manuals that can shed some light I'd appreciate it.

I ordered that one for my 1998.5 24v and was disappointed on the info for the 24v motors. Much more info on the 12v's. So if you're wondering if it covers the 12v's, I'd say yes.
I have all three manuals from Techauthority: $90.00-main one, $20.00 for the supplements (good detail on how the body parts and how the truck goes together) $143.00 with shipping and taxes.
Like the other guys say, if you look at these Cummins message boards, you can find almost all the info you need.

Just my 2 cents
Old 01-13-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. I agree, it is amazing how much info I have come to rely on from online sources. Especially this forum. But my shop is a few hundred feet from the house. Then I have to clean up/degrease enough to use the computer. And once I start surfing, well, the time seems to fly...
I think it's best if I stay down at the shop with a shop manual, a few beers, my dog and my truck until the job is done

For me, one of the most-used features of a good factory manual is the accurate and complete wiring diagrams.
All the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual say "typical interior lighting", etc. That's not good enough when you're looking for wires. I need the exact diagram with connectors, wire color and sizes.

So anyway, it sounds like for $99 you get the main book. Any other books are supplements and are extra.

Is the BR/BE supplement for the Quad Cab? What would that cover, the back seat? Oh, and the rear doors I suppose. Is there anything in that supplement of value?

Thanks again...
Old 01-14-2008, 12:03 AM

After closer examination of my BR/BE manual, it appears that it mostly covers the changes made during the model year(switching to the 24v)
I agree with you, as far as service manuals, I only want to work from factory ones.

BTW, nice looking dog