Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Tow Mirror Confusion (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/tow-mirror-confusion-332252/)

SkyHarborCowboy 07-12-2019 04:27 AM

Tow Mirror Confusion

I’m confused about the Tow Mirrors. I wanted to add the 4th Gen Tow Mirrors to my 99 3500. I found some on Amazon that are powered and heated and ordered them along with the inner plate supports. The mirrors arrived and the mounting holes are way further separated then the 2nd Gen mounting holes in the door.

So which are the correct Mirrors to order?
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.die...f458cd076.jpeg

SkyHarborCowboy 07-12-2019 04:30 AM

I guess my confusion is do you order 4th Gen Style for the 2nd Gen trucks or did I just get the wrong 4th Gen Mirrors in the Box?

Does anyone have the correct part numbers?

texasprd 07-12-2019 09:48 AM

Found this thread (and others) using the Search function (search words: "power mirrors", "tow mirrors" - search is your friend

Busboy 07-12-2019 01:17 PM

You need to order 2nd gen towing mirrors for a 2001.

SIXSLUG 07-13-2019 03:12 PM

You can't interchange generation steps, you need to order 2nd gen mirrors for your 99.....

SkyHarborCowboy 07-13-2019 06:14 PM

Figured that out now, lol. All of the YouTubers just said 4th Gen Mirrors and I didn’t notice anyone saying 4th Gen “Style” Mirrors. I have the correct ones coming now.

SIXSLUG 07-14-2019 11:19 AM

Depending on brand the wiring may be shite. I have koolvues and the heat elements went out after about a year, now only the convex's clear.....power to the ends of the wires but the grids are out...

SkyHarborCowboy 07-14-2019 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 3362606)
Depending on brand the wiring may be shite. I have koolvues and the heat elements went out after about a year, now only the convex's clear.....power to the ends of the wires but the grids are out...

I’m willing to bet 1 peso they all come from within 100 sq miles of the same province of China.

texasprd 07-15-2019 10:46 AM

Sixslug, are you using the OE timer/switch assembly to activate your heating elements? I was previously considering doing the tow-mirror upgrade, and in my research I seem to remember seeing that the heating elements are easily burned out if left on too long. Presumably, the OE switch/timer would prevent that with OE-quality mirrors/elements - but who can tell with aftermarket stuff.

SkyHarborCowboy 07-15-2019 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by texasprd (Post 3362681)
Sixslug, are you using the OE timer/switch assembly to activate your heating elements? I was previously considering doing the tow-mirror upgrade, and in my research I seem to remember seeing that the heating elements are easily burned out if left on too long. Presumably, the OE switch/timer would prevent that with OE-quality mirrors/elements - but who can tell with aftermarket stuff.

Whats OE timer cycle at in minutes if anyone knows?

SIXSLUG 07-16-2019 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by texasprd (Post 3362681)

Yes. I sourced a stock a/c switch panel with heated mirror switch from the local wrecker and added the power remote switch to tilt them, all wiring was present. Mine came with manual flip outs....I think SHC is right about the region of manufacture.....