2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Tires, which ones

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tires, which ones

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#161111 date=1058478894]<br>I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.<br>[/quote]<br><br>What he said.<br><br><br>phox
Old 07-17-2003, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote author=phox_mulder link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=60#161113 date=1058479200]<br>[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#161111 date=1058478894]<br>I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.<br>[/quote]<br><br>What he said.<br><br><br>phox<br>[/quote]<br><br>Based on their web site it looks like you can buy Cooper Discovers and they are made in USA by an American company and they are a quality heavy duty tire. Depending on their cost I might try them as replacements to my Goodyears.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:50 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#161111 date=1058478894]<br>I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.<br>[/quote]<br> Some things we have control over and somethings we have NONE! Somethings we can right and somethings we can never change course on... I am however encouraged that we as Americans HAVE impacted the FRENCH and can continue to do so. <br> Yes Cooper is a Fine AMERICAN made tire and there are others out there that are too...<br><br> So it is too late to adapt the &quot;buy from supportive countries where we can&quot; attitude? I think not!!!!<br><br>AND THAT IS MY SOAPBOX!!!<br><br>Keywords: WHERE WE CAN
Old 07-17-2003, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=JCL123 link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=60#161143 date=1058482253]<br>[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#161111 date=1058478894]<br>I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.<br>[/quote]<br> Some things we have control over and somethings we have NONE! Somethings we can right and somethings we can never change course on... I am however encouraged that we as Americans HAVE impacted the FRENCH and can continue to do so. <br> Yes Cooper is a Fine AMERICAN made tire and there are others out there that are too...<br><br> So it is too late to adapt the &quot;buy from supportive countries where we can&quot; attitude? I think not!!!!<br><br>AND THAT IS MY SOAPBOX!!!<br><br>Keywords: WHERE WE CAN<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes and I have to agree with you, no time to throw in the towell. Point well taken.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:16 AM

Man I steered this topic way off course Sorry Everyone :-[ Thanks Haulin In Dixie for the reply... That was big of ya!!! <br><br>My Michelins didn't go very far before they looked sad <br><br>I used to buy Cooper's from the local service station (to help support the little town where I had my ranch) they where great tires and tough too! My ranch was hell on tires and they did great running around on it.<br><br>Now I am running the Parneli Jones Dirt Grips and absolutely love them... but they are pricey.<br><br>
Old 07-18-2003, 09:10 PM

jcl how much is pricey,per tire for like a 245/75/16 e ;D
Old 07-18-2003, 11:22 PM

[quote author=jigdog link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=60#161644 date=1058580624]<br>jcl how much is pricey,per tire for like a 245/75/16 e ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br> <br><br>I guess that size would be a really special order
Old 07-19-2003, 12:21 AM

jcl if i have to ask that i guess i don't need it :
Old 07-19-2003, 12:50 AM

Sorry,<br> By the tone I thought you realized the Parneli Jones didn't come in such a small tire. I also noticed by your sig you don't run that small of a tire either so I thought you were kidding....<br><br>I think the smallest size available is a 31x10.5R16 or 15<br><br>James
Old 07-19-2003, 01:08 AM

jcl,that ok no offense taken .stock is 245 thinking about it for the next set.don't really need any bigger for what i do.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:57 AM

Oh Ok sorry I really thought you were kidding with me :-[
Old 07-20-2003, 06:55 PM

Chuck3,

I just put on two new Michelans, M/S &quot;E&quot;'s (8-ply). I towed my 5ver (8 K#) over 8 K last summer and another 3K this summer. I had about 58 K on the truck and two tires needed replacing and the other two should go another 5-10 K. I've had good luck with the Mich., and mine hold the road good in rain and snow with no problems.

I paid $168.00 each plus tax at Sam's Club--that was the best price I could find!!

FWIW

Good luck!!

smokinjoe
ohio

Old 07-20-2003, 08:29 PM

Based on their web site it looks like you can buy Cooper Discovers and they are made in USA by an American company and they are a quality heavy duty tire. Depending on their cost I might try them as replacements to my Goodyears.
Checked and the Cooper Discover M&amp;S 235/85/16 &quot;E&quot; rated 10 ply and go for $110 per tire. These are bif heavyduty tires not a bad price. Looks like the difference between these and the Michelin LTX/MS is the Coopers have heavy duty side walls and they are $50 per tire cheaper and made in the USA.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:07 PM

I saw some parneli jones dirt grips in an add a while ago. The 305/70/16's were $200+. I think maybe $230 but I'm not sure about that. Anything over $200 is too high for me anyway.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:29 PM
yz

Have any of you guys ever tried Pirelli tires? And what do you think of them. I am thinking of buying there new Scorpion STR tires. thanks- Anthony

Quick Reply: Tires, which ones