Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Tire Recommendation (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/tire-recommendation-33944/)

TomW 11-03-2003 07:35 AM

Tire Recommendation

It's time to replace the tires on the truck ('99 3500 Quad Cab) and I'm looking for something with better traction in the snow. I'm running Michelin's right now, and they're absolutely worthless the second there's over 3 inches of snow on the ground. Any suggestions? Thanks

BarryG 11-03-2003 07:45 AM

Re:Tire Recommendation

I'm Running the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOS and love them. There are several variations of the Dueler I am speaking of the REVO's. So far have about 25k on them and they have handled everything I have dished out very well. Wet and dry traction is excellent. They haven't seen deep gumbo mud but the mud they have seen they have dealt with well. Same with sand they have dealt with short stretches of the deep stuff pretty well but haven't done any dune running with them. They have only seen a little bit of snow since I got them last March right after our big blizzard here but the little they have seen was much better than the stock Michelins. They are pretty quiet too. If they last the miles which it looks like they will I will buy them again. I think www.tirerack.com has customer reviews on all sorts of tires and allows you to compare tires on those reviews might be worth a look.

y-knot 11-03-2003 07:59 AM

I run both Trxus and BFG MT's in the 255-85-16 size. They are great for traction, but I am not sure how aggressive you want to get. They both wear great.

TomW 11-03-2003 08:05 AM

Thinking back to last winter and the number of times I had to dig that beast out of the driveway, I could care less how noisey they are on the road. As long as I can run 'em year 'round and get decent wear out of them, I'd be a happy camper. (Next one is going to be a 4x4!)

just_crankin_it 11-03-2003 11:26 AM

Whatever size you get, I highly recommend www.tirerack.com. I just ordered 4 Michelin LTX (stock size) on Wednesday afternoon. Drove up Thursday after work to find them sitting in the driveway. ;D

HOHN 11-03-2003 01:47 PM

Try the Toyo M-55 tires. They are known for decent traction in snow and ice, and they wear like iron.

TDR member Illflem usually gets 80,000 plus on a set.

HOHN

ammo5797 11-04-2003 09:58 AM

I've been running the BFG A/T's for a couple of years now up here in the snow and they're great. Even this set w/ only about 20-25% tread left I've had on trails with snow to the bumpers and had no problems. All around good tire, just remember to rotate them!

tanderson2002us 11-04-2003 07:27 PM

I'm runnin' 315/75's siped with a mud terrain lug pattern......will let you know. [laugh] Spokane is supposed to get a "real" winter this year! ;D

richard 11-05-2003 04:07 AM

I would suggest Cooper Discoverer ST.
They are a little aggressive, but I have had very good luck so far with them.
They also come in 8 ply, 10 ply, and a cut resistant version called the ST-C

Rich

pappyman 11-05-2003 04:33 AM

There are allot of good tires for traction but Ive found the best traction aid is to put some weight in the bed of the truck...last winter I lived in PA and had to deal with snow for the first time in 15 years...it didn't take me long to put about 1000 lbs of sand bag weights in my bed....and the sand helps if you get stuck in snow

ammo5797 11-05-2003 07:06 AM

Extra weight in the bed makes a drastic difference. I've got a cap, spray in liner, 4 bags of sand (300lb.), plus all the log chains and other "must haves" that manage to sneak into the back of the truck. Rides a little easier to ;)

KC 11-06-2003 10:08 AM

I have Nitto Terra Grappler AT's, very good in the snow, ice, water and on dry runs. So far I am very happy, Im guess I will get 40k to 50k based on the wear so far. Price $525 out the door at discount tire!

KC

BigK 11-06-2003 03:08 PM

If you decide to go with a mud-terrain style tire, pay the extra few $ to have them siped. It's well worth it!

Dr. Evil 11-06-2003 03:13 PM

[quote author=BigK link=board=5;threadid=21915;start=0#msg206621 date=1068152911]
If you decide to go with a mud-terrain style tire, pay the extra few $ to have them siped. It's well worth it!
[/quote]

Thats a good tip.........tire siping isnt big around here, but is done a lot in the Pacific Northwest......

Fishbait 11-08-2003 05:18 PM

I have a 2000 Cummins 3/4 ton 4x4 and am looking for a good set of tires to try....I am running Perreli's 265/75/16's and thought they would be good AT's. Was I wrong, I have 31,000 miles on these and they need replacing already. I previously had Cooper AT's on and liked them but only got 42,000 miles on them. I have had a hard time fingding load range E's in this size. I wouldn't mind a set that were maybe an inch taller but don't want to get much more than one inch taller than the 265's because of hauling my gooseneck trailers.

Anyone have any good experiences with other tires?

AlpineRAM 11-09-2003 04:47 PM

I'm running BFG MTs in 255/85R16. Quite nice tire, wears pretty fast, but this might be caused by the driver too ;D

A good winter tire is the Bridgestone DMZ2 Winter dueler.

AlpineRAM

TomW 11-10-2003 10:06 AM

I noticed that I'm still running 215's on my truck. Is there any advantage to going wider with the 255's? And most importantly, would I have to buy new rims as well for the duallie?

AlpineRAM 11-10-2003 06:11 PM

OOPSIE- Dually- I do have the proper amount of wheels. So I don't exactly know about the dimensions on the training wheels but as far as I remember you are limited to 235/85R16 to avoid rubbing. Otherwise you'd need spacers or different wheels.

Sorry

AlpineRAM

ARAcummins 11-10-2003 09:48 PM

I second Rich, chaulk another one up for Cooper Discoverer S/T. I have them all the way around my dually, I don't know about the snow weather man says I well find out here in another month or two. But on the highway they are great, wet and dry. You can't hardly hear them at all, very minimal, you have to listen for them. And in the mud they are fantastic.

Heath

latitud_rt 01-06-2004 12:05 PM

Check out the Yokohama Geolandar H/T-s on Tire Rack. The pattern is nice for mostly on highway but they get good reviews for off-road use also. They were the tire of choice in some off-road challenge in 2003, forgot the name, but there was a review somewhere about them. Yokohama also has a aggressive Geolandar A/T + II that works well in the snow, not sure about long term wear though. I ran A/T +II on my Tacoma and they get loud after a few miles of use. I'm sure they have them in Load Range 'E'.

Tim

infidel 01-06-2004 12:13 PM

As long as you don't mind having the same tires for long time go for Toyo M-55s. With siped M-55s the only thing I've found better for winter traction is chains. They may cost more but pay in the long run. I've gone though three sets, they've ranged from 80 to 100k before replacement. They are a little noisy but nothing the Cummins can't drown out.:)

Dr. Evil 01-07-2004 12:03 AM

infidel,

I do like the look of thoses Toyos....they dont come any larger than a 245 - too bad since a lot of guys prefer the larger tires...

brianflynhigh 01-07-2004 02:31 PM

On my truck I am currently running PRO-COMP all terrian 315/75 r 16, in my opinion this is what Dodge should of put on these . I have just about 3k on them so hard to tell how long they will last. Great snow and wet traction. I had a set of PRO-COMP all terrian 305/75r16 on my 97 Dodge 2500 gas model. They had over 20k on them when I traded the truck in, and still looked brand new. I have one more for ya. Right after I bought my truck I put Mickey Thompson Radial MTX 315/75 r16 on it. They lasted a whole 23k and they were bald, rotated every 5k. They were not noisy did great in snow ok in the rain. The only thing I really liked about them was they were wider than the PRO-COMP'S. Also I have mounted all these tire's on stock rims. rims are so expensive so they might of contributed to the short life of the Mickey's. So I will get some Weld Stonecrusher's so maybe that will make a difference... Hope this helps

AKDSLDOG 01-07-2004 08:15 PM

I'm running BFG Commercial T/A'S, They have a mud terrain look but they are siped and studded. These things really hook up! After I put the lift on I will be running 315 BFG TKO'S, studded up.

Dr. Evil 01-07-2004 08:18 PM

Good Info Brain...thanks. I was just looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja MTX's at the tire store. They were pushing them really hard (said they are way better the BFG A/T KO's) and told me theyd last close to 50k....I was a bit skepticle when they said that...I now have a few more questions for them...obviously, they are confused....

I have been interested in the Pro-Comp A/T's and may have to give 'em a try...

rattle_rattle 01-09-2004 05:01 PM

Re: Re:Tire Recommendation

Originally posted by richard
I would suggest Cooper Discoverer ST.
They are a little aggressive, but I have had very good luck so far with them.
They also come in 8 ply, 10 ply, and a cut resistant version called the ST-C

Rich

I am going to have to get tires next spring. I was wondering if you have had any experience towing with the Coopers? I want an aggressive tread but don't want to sacrifice towing stability.

Srigs 01-09-2004 09:51 PM

I love my Yokohama Geolander HTs which are great on the road, in the wet and on snow. If your looking for ATs then check that version out because they are rated very good. They also have the benefit of being much cheaper than some mentioned above.

I picked mine up at DiscountTire.com and they did a great job at a good price for 4 at $430 out the door with life time balance and rotate. Srigs.

richard 01-10-2004 08:55 AM

I tow all the time with these tires, that's why I bought them.
Normally tow a Cat skidsteer, transfer tank in the bed, and whatever I may need for the day's work.
I must say that the truck is very stable, very little sidewall flex from these tires.
And they bite great in mud, snow.
If you want to buy a set, just heard that Cooper is running about
1 week behind on their orders for this tire.
High demand.
That should say something about how good they are.
My second choice would be the Toyo M-55.
Had them on my old GMC pickup and towed, plowed, and generally did whatever I needed to do with no problems.

Hope this helps.
Rich:D

jigdog 01-10-2004 04:01 PM

All, i run txr's on my truck it does ok in snow that is wet,it does good in dry snow.i ran toyo m55 m+s e rating about the same tread as the txr's on the suburban i used to have. I got 50k out of the toyo's and they did good in the snow.My exp is the wetter the snow the more aggressive of tire you need,if it is dry snow (20 dergees or lower) you can go with less agressive tread.:cool:

Rattletrap1 01-11-2004 08:22 PM

Another vote for REVO's. I have them on my Jeep and recently ran it in 12" snow with no problems. Otherwise quiet , good road feel and decent handling.

Crimedog 01-11-2004 09:31 PM

Anybody looking for serious snow tires, look into the Cooper Discoverer M&S. It is a mud and snow tire. Here is a link to an in depth discussion Take it from the people who deal with snow for a living (I'm included:) ) Currently, I am running Kumho adventurers, they are 10 plys, and handle the snow really well. But anyway, check out the link. BTW, the truck in the first pic is bombed :D

MedicShawn 01-11-2004 09:44 PM

I couldn't get into the snowplow site, you need a user name. :(

Crimedog 01-11-2004 10:06 PM

Here, I set up a "dead account" type in
Username: Guest3
Password: cummins

Now you can see the thread, and browse till your hearts content. It'll be registered in a bit, I just have to recieve the confirmation email. There really is some cool stuff on there.

Crimedog 01-11-2004 10:11 PM

Too late to edit... But it is registered, so fire away.

gcookieman 01-14-2004 06:41 PM

gcookieman is running Cooper Discoverer A/T 265s . Noise level is great on highway Mud-Snow-Sand excellant. Also pull 9000lb Jayco 5th wheel very stable tire wouldnt hesitate to by another set Milage I cannot comment they where on the truck when I bought it. The cookieman

1ST CUMNZ 01-15-2004 07:54 AM

HEY TOM
I WONDER IF U COULD E-MAIL ME PLEASE,JUST LIVE DOWN THE ROAD FROM YOU.TRIED TO PM U,BUT COULD NOT.SO IF U WANT PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL

ceyl 01-15-2004 06:02 PM

I run BFG AT's 285/75-16, very stable towing and have had no trouble in the snow. Tried to get the Bridgestone Revo's but they were backordered in the size I wanted, put them on my Durango and they seem to be very good in the snow.

CAPTDASH 01-19-2004 02:24 AM

I SELL TIRES FOR A LIVING, SO I WILL GIVE YOU MY 2 CENTS WORTH. I PURCHASED MY 99 BRAND NEW IN JULY 99. I IMMEDIATELY PUT ON THE LOAD RANGE D GOODYEAR WRANGLER AT/S IN A 285/75/16. AT 206,738 MILES, I HAD JUST TAKEN OFF MY 3RD SET. 3 OF THEM COULD HAVE WENT ANOTHER 10,000 MILES EASY. ONE OF THE HAD A 5 INCH HOLE IN THE SIDEWALL. IT WAS THROUGH. SO WAS MY RIM. COULDN'T GET ANOTHER WHEEL, OUTDATED, SO I GOT ME SOME ULTRA 23 STYLE WHEELS & 12.50 33/16 TRUXUS INTERCO'S TO TRY SOMETHING NEW. THEY FREAKING SUCKED!! I JUST REPLACED THEM YESTERDAY WITH BFG M/T'S IN A 305/70/16. THEY BALANCED UP VERY NICELY & RUN OL' SO SWEET.THE GOODYEARS GAVE ME ABOUT 70,000 MILES PER SET. THE EXTRA COST IS WELL WORTH IT. I LOVE GY BIG TRUCK TIRES TOO, THAT IS ALL I USE ON MY RIGS. I DO KNOW THE YOKOHOMA'S ARE A VERY WELL BUILT TIRE TOO. ALMOST BOUGHT THEM INSTEAD OF THE BFG'S. THEY ARE ABOUT 40 BUCKS A TIRE CHEAPER TOO. CAPT DASH

ramman21921 01-19-2004 06:40 PM

Tires

Ready to buy tires myself . Been doing some research and have found the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo to be a good choice. I can get a set of 285/75/16s for $632.54 mounted and balanced in a E load range. I think this is a great price and the tires have a 50,000 mile warranty.

dieselminded 06-30-2004 07:22 PM

BEST TIRES EVER MADE

THESE BABIES ARD INCREAdaBLE great traction, great wear ,great price ILL buy another pair as soon as these tires ever deside to wear out.better than bfg's for sure and cheaper too