2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

There has to be a better solution...(steering gear box)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has to be a better solution...(steering gear box)

I am working on the steering system on my truck and have done the following:

I am having a steering kit built. A lot like this one:
http://thurenfabrication.com/crossover.html

The track bar + bracket will be replaced with this next week when it comes in:
http://www.thurenfabrication.com/3rdgentrackbar.html

This steering stabilizer next week as well:
http://www.thurenfabrication.com/ramstab.html

Bilstein shocks all around.

New joint between pitman arm and draglink for the time being until the steering kit gets built.

My question is this:

Is there a better solution than getting a reman (psc or other) gear box? I would be willing to spend some more money in order to get a much more heavy duty and suitable solution for the job than the in general crap gear box. Any ideas?
Rush
Old 06-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You pretty much already picked the best solution.....the PSC box is arguably the best box going for our trucks....they actually market a box for the CTD application that has stonger assist for a lighter feel in the steering wheel to help with the very heavy front end.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 PM

If you want to do a lot of fabrication, something out of a MDT or a 3rd gen steering box would be better...Better yet, adapt a rack and pinion system onto the solid axle front end...then sell it for an insane amount of money, because even I would buy that.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Need95-00CTD
If you want to do a lot of fabrication, something out of a MDT or a 3rd gen steering box would be better...Better yet, adapt a rack and pinion system onto the solid axle front end...then sell it for an insane amount of money, because even I would buy that.
Go over to the NW Bombers board. www.nwbombers.com . Can't remember the guy's forum name, but he's marketing a kit for our trucks. Complete kit, has a new 3rd gen box/pitman, mount plate, and new steering shaft. Little pricey at @ $1200, but seems to be well engineered. The guys that have been beta testing these are raving about the improvement in their steering performance. I may do the mod myself this fall. HTH
Old 06-22-2007, 07:11 PM

I knew it. I am going to look into the 3rd gen conversion. I am having (and personally helping) a custom made steering kit made, I might as well fab up the junk for the 05 steering box. I think great steering can be had in a few months!
R
Old 06-22-2007, 07:29 PM

my PCS box will be here early next week, I custom ordered it with the light valving for heavy front diff loads and tapped for hydro assist. I'll let you know how it goes
Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 PM

The reason I am leary of the PSC (and all other remans), though I think they are probably ok, is that I have talked to numerous people that work with these trucks all the time (i.e. Don Thuren, etc) who are of the opinion that the reman gear boxes are a crapshoot. Apparently the rebuild is just a seal replacement and then the adjustments that we can do ourselves. I am interested in hearing from people with good experiences with PSC and other remans, but I think I can get the 3rd gen conversion done pretty easily. And by easily I mean with a lot of time and some good hard thinking. I am assuming that the ps pump is going to have to be replaced as well. I need to do some homework....
Old 06-25-2007, 08:10 PM

Does anyone have any other leads on totally different solutions? I am thinking maybe there is a better solution than even the 3rd gen gear box. Anybody heard anything?
R
Old 06-26-2007, 01:01 AM

I personally haven't dealt with this company but their fast ratio gear boxes are supposed to correct steering wander and feel. They put GM gears inside the Dodge box. Those who have treid them say it really works without using track bar mods. http://www.powersteering.com/products/
Old 06-26-2007, 03:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Considered hydraulic assist? Like with the hydro rams?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM

Depending on your state you could look at full hydraulic, that would be the top o' the line streeting system, and can do some serious damage if your not carefull setting up pressure regulators and doing your calculations with ram length. A buddy and I made up a kit for my old CJ-7 using rams from TSC for just over $100, it took us 2 weekends and 6 cases of beer, but we got through it, and in the end it was worth it, when I had the 4bt and the 40's on it I could never tell, plus with the 4bt in I didn't have to re-route the steering column or shaft, becuase I mounted the charlin (sp) valve right under the dash and ran the lines through the firewall.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rbattle
The reason I am leary of the PSC (and all other remans), though I think they are probably ok, is that I have talked to numerous people that work with these trucks all the time (i.e. Don Thuren, etc) who are of the opinion that the reman gear boxes are a crapshoot. Apparently the rebuild is just a seal replacement and then the adjustments that we can do ourselves. I am interested in hearing from people with good experiences with PSC and other remans, but I think I can get the 3rd gen conversion done pretty easily. And by easily I mean with a lot of time and some good hard thinking. I am assuming that the ps pump is going to have to be replaced as well. I need to do some homework....
I'll agree with that. I'm on my fourth reman box and none of them have been right. This is getting really, really, really, really, really, really old.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:34 PM

what makes the 3rd gen box any better than the junk we have now?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bart Timothy
I personally haven't dealt with this company but their fast ratio gear boxes are supposed to correct steering wander and feel. They put GM gears inside the Dodge box. Those who have treid them say it really works without using track bar mods. http://www.powersteering.com/products/
I looked at the site and it looks good. I think I will save it to my fav's and give them a call when I need one.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Lance,
That is what I started thinking after I posted about the 3rd gen box. Surely there is some other totally different and much better way to do this rather than use these recirc ball setups dc designed.

HOHN,
My buddy has hydro assist and he thinks it is sluggish and he is having problems with it. Will it fix the slop part anyways? Also, link to hydro rams?

BigBlue,
You heard of anybody in your parts doing anything different than PSC and having good luck though?
R

Quick Reply: There has to be a better solution...(steering gear box)