2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Are there driving lights to fill the holes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are there driving lights to fill the holes?

My 98 has 2 round holes in the front bumper..one on either side...I've seen the newer models that have driving lights where the holes are....Is there a kit or somebody that makes lights to fit these? ???
Thanks
Todd
Old 12-23-2003, 06:43 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Are there driving lights to fill the holes?

You can put aftermarket lights in there. The wiring harness should already be there to plug in the factory stuff though. My sons 94 has aftermarket lights there.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:17 AM

so the factory puts the wiring harness there even if they dont put the fog lights on?

well if you hook up factory lights to the harness they put there, how do you activate them? I mean, they dont put the switch in the cab lke they do on the factory equipped ones.

maybe i missunderstood you dieseldude. ???

phillip
Old 12-23-2003, 07:32 AM
Administrator

In some cases, not all, the wiring harness is the same whether the lights or computer or cab lights etc are there or not. That's the way it was when I worked for a Chrysler dealer years ago. If you look around under the hood or the dash, you may see plugs with nothing connected to them in some cases. The factory can save money by not having to make up several different harnesses this way. You may have to buy the headlight switch and a relay for the fuse box or something to make them work. Would more than likely be cheaper to go aftermarket unless you have access to a wrecking yard or Recycling Center as they are called now.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:46 AM

psdctd:

My 98 did not come with driving lights installed in the bumper either - it was a sports package with automatic transmission. For some reason (I don't know why) Dodge did not install them in that particular package.

I purchased a kit from PIAA that included the wiring harness and switch. It was a little pricey and the only problem that I had was fabricating the brackets to mount the lights due to the flat surface bracket on the PIAA's. As it turns out, before I could install them I hit a deer and ended up with a replacement aftermarket front end. It included the flat mounts for the lights.

The installation was easy - the only dis-assembly was removing the 3 screws and panel under the steering wheel to install the LED switch right under the drivers A/C vent. The lights are really bright - better than the stock headlights!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:44 PM

i have the plug-ins just dangling there under the front bumper, if you look hard enough you should find them. I put ( now dont laugh) a pair of fake lights in that fit perfectly...i obtained them from an old emergency backup lighting box commonly found in the workplace or schools. they look good in there and is a perfect fit...hooked em up with bailing wire.

just dont ask to see em on! :
Old 12-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Administrator

What do you know, maybe that DD4X4 does know what he's talking about once in a little while. Shhh, don't tell anyone. :-X
Old 12-23-2003, 06:24 PM
Chapter President

Goldenears,

You crack me up!

CR
Old 12-23-2003, 06:40 PM

i know you can get some lights from walmart that fit perfect in the factory holes. they are 50 watt lights, the factory lights are only 35 watts ??? so they are quite a bit brighter than factory lights and they are only $40 ;D
Old 12-24-2003, 08:42 AM

Just an FYI - -I was pulled over in Oregon for driving with my fog/driving lights on and the kind officer told me that It is illeagal to drive with them on any where you can not use your high beams - -so in otherwords - -If you can not have your high beams on you can not have your fog lights on. (unless they are not bright and if they are not bright what's the point)