2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering issues revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering issues revisited

Not wanting to hijack someone elses thread:

My steering is sloppy.

I have rebuilt the front end, including aftermarket stuff (see my sig line) and my steering is still sloppy. I plan on tightening the steering gear adjustment nut. But, while checking things out I noticed the input shaft itself is loose. It seems the problem is in the U-joints.

My question is; can the U-joints be rebuilt or is it a replacement only deal? Has anyone else noticed this problem?
Old 05-28-2004, 06:20 AM

The steering issues on these trucks makes me leary of ever buying another Dodge truck. Yes, I thought my steering shaft was worn, so I bought an aftermarket Borgeson steering shaft for a couple of hundred bucks, which didn't seem to help much IMO. The best add was Darin's Steering Stabilizer, which helped tremendously, no more wandering, but the steering still does not seem 100%.

I'd do the bearing adjustments on the box first, and then look into the steering shaft. There may be rebuild kits available for the U-joints. The Borgeson shaft is a heavy duty, quality made product, however it didn't come with any sort of finish on it, and mine now has a generous coat of rust.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:41 AM

Your on the right track, just get all those worn parts replaced. Go with heavy duty aftermarket parts, better than the stock stuff. Put a Borgeson on. How many miles on her??
Old 05-31-2004, 10:34 PM

I've got 166K on her. I tried to adjust the steering box yesterday and was not able to do it. The only way I can see to do it is to remove the radiator, shroud and all that stuff. Am I missing something? I don't have the time to screw around with it right now. Is there a short cut I'm missing?