2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Sport Headlights-where to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is, is this "quality" something you are able to see and confirm. They might "look" the same side by side but what about the reflector shape? is it a good reproduction? will the coating fail in 6 months? etc.

taz
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM

I'm in the process of doing this to my 2 trucks. $200 for each side at the local Dodge dealer.
It can't do anything but improve the 96 and the 01 has one side starting to peel. I'm using the DS parts and the bulbs he recommends. I don't know that the 96 is worth what the lights will cost but maybe I'll be able to see further than 50' at night!!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:47 PM

$200 a side for new lights. Jeeze, my local guy wants $650 a side Canadian. Frikkin nuts!!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tazman
Question is, is this "quality" something you are able to see and confirm. They might "look" the same side by side but what about the reflector shape? is it a good reproduction? will the coating fail in 6 months? etc.

taz
the shape/angles looked identical to the both of us comparing. he has had the cross canada lights running for over a year now with no complaints that i have heard.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by kslongrider
I'm in the process of doing this to my 2 trucks. $200 for each side at the local Dodge dealer.
It can't do anything but improve the 96 and the 01 has one side starting to peel. I'm using the DS parts and the bulbs he recommends. I don't know that the 96 is worth what the lights will cost but maybe I'll be able to see further than 50' at night!!
wow, that is super cheap! that sounds like the price for just the headlamp without the marker or bracket! $200 all in per side is a steal, jump on it!
Old 09-24-2010, 11:25 AM

I wonder if he could buy bulk and offer to DTR members at a good price!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:29 PM

Post Thoughts on the sport conversion

First, the OEM prices for a non-sport to sport conversion are ridiculous. I'm in the US, and you're talking well over $500.00 for the headlight assemblies only -- no turn/marker housings.

As I simply can't afford to follow Mr. Stern's advice, I went to Plan B: buying assemblies from a low mileage wreck. Well, regardless of the mileage, a decade is a decade. The assemblies I found were from an '01 RAM sport that was in good condition, save the crash damage. To make a long story a bit shorter, plastic is plastic...and ten year old plastic is even worse -- the adjustment "barrels" had hairline cracks from age.

And a special note to my fellow '98.5 owners: the recommended sport headlight assemblies for this particular conversion were the '99 to '01 sport design. Well, I found out the hard way that a model year, and even a half model year, can make a world of difference. In short, the '99 model trucks have less sheet metal behind the headlights to accomodate the 4-lamp (sport) design. If you want to perform this work on older trucks -- '94 to '98.5 -- you'll have to fire up the grinder and install a cutting wheel.

It's not all bad news, though. I know a man who owns two 2nd generation RAMs and he swears by the sport conversion. He, too, passed on the OEM units and purchased Taiwanese aftermarket housings. He has been burning four lamps for two years now and is having good luck with the conversion. Yes, I did type "four lamps." He runs four lamps in low-beam mode and four lamps in high beam mode. Another fellow I know used TYC brand sport assemblies and swears by them as well.

Obviously, I've done a lot of research on this conversion; hence, the diatribe. Having typed that, I'm still in the same boat as the thread starter. I, too, am looking for Mr. Goodlight.