2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Spare tire security, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Spare tire security, anyone?

I have thought abouyt the same thing, especially with the high carpart theft rate where I live. <br><br>I initally thought of using a rubber coated cable designed for bicycles, but I dont know how cutter proof they are. <br><br>I like the idea of imobilizing the winch system, but wouldn't a determined thief just cut the cable that lowers the tire?
Old 05-18-2003, 11:06 AM

This was happening in the town where I purchased my truck. I purchased a special torx type tool and receiver from the dealer. Was a Mopar part if I remember correctly. Tire is still there...course I don't know if anyone has tried to steal it.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:59 PM

My EOD training in the USMC would make me want to recommend &quot;C4&quot;. Don't need much Just kidding!!! I would stay with a chain and pad lock, make sure that it is easy to see the chain hanging down a little. Thiefs don't want to work that hard, they will move on to easier pickings.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:00 PM

and.....if your using a chain and padlock, those padlocks, unless regularly lubed will gum up with dirt and debris. Imagine trying to unlock a clogged lock on the freeway in the rain?!?
Old 05-19-2003, 12:22 PM

[quote author=goldenears link=board=5;threadid=14823;start=0#139714 date=1053316842]<br>and.....if your using a chain and padlock, those padlocks, unless regularly lubed will gum up with dirt and debris. Imagine trying to unlock a clogged lock on the freeway in the rain?!?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Master makes them covered with plastic with a plastic cap over the locking key area. This type of lock will be fine, I alway spray some lube in them and close the cap. Never a problem.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:55 PM

I had this very thing happen right after I got my old '89 Chebby. 3 tires stolen in two weeks. I finally asked the guy at Discount Tire what could be done about it, and he showed me a $30 kit to replace the OEM assembly that sounds similar to Gary's idea, only the end had specially shaped pattern milled into it that only the one shaft would mate to. Two years later, the thieves tried stealing the truck. Got the truck back with only the tailgate missing - the spare was still there. The tool to lower it was in the truck where they had searched through stuff, but they just didn't know what they were looking at. It was a very effective system, install in 10 minutes, no more worry. I don't know whether they are just at Dicount Tire or carried by some of the auto parts stores, but if you can find one it is worth every penny. HTH.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:40 PM

Leave the tire home, and call AAA if you get a flat. Works for me! Seriously, when was the last time anyone had a legit flat??? I don't think I had one in.............I can't remmember? Must be getting to old. : :<br>Steve
Old 05-19-2003, 10:38 PM

Head over to your dealer and pick up the Mopar spare tire lock kit. Basically it is what Gary is thinking about, but uses a keyed socket, similar to McGard wheel locks. Works great!
Old 05-20-2003, 06:03 AM

HeberRam,<br>Funny you should ask that question - I was helping a friend bring home a couple of grain silos last Friday and ran over something in the field when I had to get off the path to get the trailer lined up properly.<br><br>Had to change one tire with the gooseneck connected and a grain silo loaded. Glad I had brought along the floorjack, 4-way tire tool, and gas powered air compressor. The spare had never been on the ground, still had all of its nubbies attached. It was down on air pressure to about 55 psi so, since I had a 45 mile haul with a load on it ahead of me, I used the compressor to air it up to 80. It is a Goodyear MT/S? Load Range E so I wasn't too worried about the load and the drive.<br><br>I needed two new rear tires anyway - guess what I am going to have to do this afternoon.<br><br>It had been ten years prior to that since I had to change a flat on a truck that didn't happen in the yard.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:47 PM

I bought a dooly back in 83 that had the training wheels removed on the lot before I picked it up. Let the air out of the training wheels, back the lug nuts off, and remove. Truck was standing on the inside duals with no lug nuts

Quick Reply: Spare tire security, anyone?