2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Solutions to losing hub caps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Solutions to losing hub caps?

I have lost 4 hub caps over a 3 year period (120,000 km) I don't drive on rough roads they don't get stolen they just fall off. Has anybody developed or thought of a way to keep those darn things on your truck. I always ensure that the lug nuts are torqued and when I install the caps on I bend the tabs a little to get a better grab but they is no reason these things should fall of as much as they do. I like the look of the factory rim and as such would like to keep them but this is driving me nuts. The tires are properly balanced there is no reason for this..

Anybody else have this problem

Jason
Old 09-14-2006, 10:28 PM

Duct Tape - the universal cure! Have you tried putting a couple dabs of silicone on it when you push them on?
Old 09-15-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same problem here, I've lost 2 in the last 2 yrs. I just took them off until I find a solution, there ONLY plastic & they cost $125ea from the dealer. I bought a aftermarket set ($110 for all 4) but they only fit 94-99 (I have a 02) so I'm gonna have to sell them.

Any solutions welcome
Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 AM

I was thinking of try to fasten a small strap or sorts so that it can only come off 4-5" then it will just spin on this strap until hopefully I notice before it is gone.

Not sure how this will effect the balance of the wheel though, just bad design, they should have small bolts that attch to the wheel somehow. The sad thing is all the newer trucks have the same thing.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:03 PM

Check the Plastic part of the cap that covers over the metal "gripper" part, there should a gap between the plastic and the rim when they are on. On a lot of them the plastic is up tight against the rim and doesn't allow a complete grab, you need to grind off the extra if there is no gap. I know how you feel i just replaced all mine this spring, got lucky and found a set from empire wreckers for $150.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:28 PM

I found the one I lost ...... Actually it was a block from my house on some ladys lawn, I had a 5km area that I lost it in offcourse I was looking in the ditch on the way to work not on the lawns a block from my house....oh well at least I got it.

CC... I assume if the plastic is right beside the rim when the rim flexes it pops of the cap? Good tip I give it a try. I seem to have one tire that blows the cap, I will try it on the rear where there would be less flexing.

Jason
Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 PM

I finally got tired of losing them and bought a set of American wheels with center caps. They almost look like the stock teardrop wheels.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:30 AM

How do you know they are not being stolen? I have walked up and caught someone trying to take one of mine.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:21 AM

They aren't being stolen I do know that my truck sits in a garage at night and I always check the truck when in the larger cities for missing things.
I have actually cauaght one a couple a years ago out of the corner of my eye fly into the ditch. little beggers move prety fast.

sky.... what are looking to get for them?

J
Old 09-16-2006, 09:55 AM
GSP

That sucks when parts fly of your vehicle while your driveing, I loose marker light covers of my 5er trailer andhave had 2 of those slide on plastic tow mirror extensions fly off.

A nice bead of clear silicone sealer might work. It worked good on my light covers that kept flying off.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:40 AM

It seems to me if I just use my hand to re-install my hubcaps, I seem to lose one within a day of driving. Since I started to use my rubber mallet, I have not lost a hubcab!!

Joe
Old 09-16-2006, 12:36 PM

You won't lose 'em if you just give 'em away................
Old 09-16-2006, 01:36 PM
GSP

I will keep a eye out along side the roads and start scronging for them.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:46 PM

Recent mayor here ran on the 'fix the potholes' ticket - didn't take long to shut down many of the hubcap resale shops
Old 09-16-2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by XJJoe01
It seems to me if I just use my hand to re-install my hubcaps, I seem to lose one within a day of driving. Since I started to use my rubber mallet, I have not lost a hubcab!!

Joe
I always install with a rubber mallet in fact I carry one on the truck and every fuel stop I hit each cap while the truck is filling. I usually will go 60,ooo km without losing one, the last one luckly I found never made it two blocks from my garage after install.

Quick Reply: Solutions to losing hub caps?