2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Should seasonal addatives be used???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should seasonal addatives be used???

I'm trying to learn as I go and wondered if you diesel regulars recommend using addatives and if so what kind and for what season. I live in Montana and have some weird seasonal climate changes that go on. Lately we have had 65-70 deg. days with 25-30 deg. nights. Its just usual fall changes. Anyhow, please inform me to your thoughts on the regular use of addatives, plus's and minus's as well as recommendations on which ones seem to be worthwhile investments.. Thanks as usual, RJ in Montana....
Old 10-22-2002, 10:50 AM

Re:Should seasonal addatives be used???

To be honest, I have no idea when diesel needs to have an anti-get added, but I would imagine that 25[sup]o[/sup] should present no problems to your fuel system. Should they used? Not according to the owner's manual. Do they make much of a difference if they're used anyway? I'm finding out they do very little. I put over a thousand miles on last week, during that time I ran only tanks of "Texaco Premium Diesel" fuel. It didn't make one darn bit of difference even though it cost 20 cents more per gallon. I've run Howes, Lucas, Rotella, and Marvel additives, and the only one that seems to make a difference mileage-wise is the Marvel, and it doesn't pay for itself. The fuel system has a water separator so you don't have to worry too much about water in the fuel. And, I imagine the refiner adds an anti-gell component to the fuel for "normal" winter climates. So, unless you're in extreme cold weather, or enjoy spending $$$ on additives (like me : ) I'd say forget it, and go with a dealer that turns over a lot of fuel. I would imagine that biological contaminants would be of most concern, but I haven't run across an algicide for vehicular use yet.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:52 PM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=4;threadid=6148;start=0#55962 date=1035301817]<br> And, I imagine the refiner adds an anti-gell component to the fuel for &quot;normal&quot; winter climates.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Got me curious about that. I'm going to check with some friends of mine in the BP/ARCO Cherry Point Refinery to find out if they actually do add an anti-gel component. I don't think they do but I'll go to the source and get the &quot;word&quot;.<br><br>~Dave<br><br>
Old 10-22-2002, 06:56 PM

diesel gels at about 8*F.

i only use additives for the cold weather (up north usually) gel up. some make the engine quieter, some make it louder. but that's just me. i often use Power Service from Wal Mart. i've tried a couple and i didn't like Gunk.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:06 PM

RJ<br>I run Power Service in mine. Never had it gel when mixed with good ol #2. Around here it is a must do thing. Last year it got down to -40ish and I had no problems
Old 10-22-2002, 07:07 PM

Well, I got a tenative statement from the brother-in-law and he said that refiner's (at least BP/ARCO at Cherry Point, Washington) don't add anti-gel to #2. He wasn't positive about #1 but believes that since it's used &quot;up north&quot; it may be modified. He's going to ask the Diesel guru's tomorrow and we'll get the word. He did add that when the fuel, whether diesel or gas, leaves the refinery and reaches it's distribution point, it may be modified with special additives by the distributor, depending on what the distributor brags his special go juice will do for you.<br><br>~Dave
Old 10-23-2002, 05:58 AM

Interesting, Dave. I did some searching and 98rammer is right on with his 8[sup]o[/sup] figure. So, it looks like a dose of anti-gel is advisable unless you know for sure that it's been added by the distributor. You would think that any fuel stored in above ground tanks for distribution would have to be dosed.<br><br>-Tom-
Old 10-23-2002, 06:08 AM

Here in VA - it seems that most of the terminals (where the local fuel oil companies pick up tractor trailer loads of fuel - typically at the end of a pipeline - this is the point that they also turn 'generic' gasoline into the &quot;branded&quot; (exxon, shell, ect) gasoline type by adding each companies special additives.) create a &quot;winter blend&quot; of highway diesel by adding clear kerosene to it.. I know Exxon was disbursing a blend of 80% diesel and 20% kerosene as their winter blend.<br><br>Not sure how at what point this 80/20 blend will start to gel though..
Old 10-23-2002, 09:07 AM

I don't have gel problems at home (obviously). However, if you use the Stanadyne Performance formula, it not only adds to the Cetane number but also contains pour point reduction additives. <br><br>Stanadyne Additive Comparison<br><br>I use the John Deere summer formula, and if I travel North, I use the winter formula. It is the only one that scores as well as the stanadyne and is cheaper per tank.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:21 PM

the TDR magazine has a great article on comparing the cetane # improvements on many additives (issue 36, pg. 28). Algamated, Inc. was the only company that had big improvements on the cetane #. so if you're looking for more ceante #'s, then you really have to do your research as their #'s are probably incorrect/overemphasized. i like the power serivce because my motor gets a tad quieter and runs a little smoother. as long as the fuel doesn't gel though, i'm pretty happy!
Old 10-24-2002, 08:44 PM

Ok, finally got the word from the brother-in-law who is a somebody in the BP/ARCO Cherry Point Refinery. He's got the good word for all of us.<br><br>Dave, here is what I found out today. Hope this helps. Jim<br><br>We add what we call a pour point depressant. This stops the components<br>from<br>solidifying (or gelling)at lower temperatures. We do this in our winter<br>blend. I believe anyone who sells in this area also does this. Jim<br><br>By anyone who sells in this area, he's implying: Conoco/Phillips, Shell, Tesoro as well as BP/ARCO Refineries.<br><br>~Dave
Old 10-26-2002, 01:10 AM

I used to run a semi out of Great Falls Mt and did not have any problems with the fuel. I live just South Of Fairbanks Alaska and the beginning of winter I will add some NAPA anti-gel additive. Always keep at least a half a tank of fuel to keep condensation down and you should be alright.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:05 PM

living on the west coast of canada is relatively warm but I maintain about 30 diesel generators for motion pictures and if I hear about any of my generators going into the interior of british columbia I always add anti gel and I run the generator before it leaves the yard toget it into the fuel system. Its a cheap insurance policy if you have a very cold night. Last winter we were in -27 C and it was a good thing to hear that generator start up for the commercial I was working on. 7 hour drive from vancouver!
Old 10-30-2002, 07:41 PM

Around here the stations don't carry blended fuel until around late December. Even then, not all stations always carry blended fuel or winter fuel. I always add a little anti-gel when I expect to encounter below freezing temps.<br><br>Gene
Old 10-31-2002, 12:45 PM

I agree with Commatoze!! As he says, if DC says they're not necessary, why spent the $$$. I have used additivies for a time and then got away from them. Don't see any improvement with them and truck still runs fine without. I've gone through two winters with my truck now and think it is just an additional cost. It's like everything else, some guys will swear by additives and others will say they're not needed.<br><br>I bought the truck new in Sept. 1999 (2000 model) and I keep it in a building. I rarely use the block heater and it starts under all conditions and weather without any trouble.<br><br>For what it's worth!!<br><br>Good luck!!!<br><br>