2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Shocks

Hi all, I'm in need of new shocks fit the truck in my sig. I'm thinking of Bilsteins either 4600 or 5100. My truck is stock height. I know the 5100 are more for lifts but since they are only a few dollars more I'm thinking about getting them for the extra stiffness/heavy duty properties. I use my truck mainly as a daily driver and only go off road occasionally for hunting/fishing and to get firewood. I am open to other suggestions I just so far found that almost everyone loves Bilsteins. I think my truck has the 4600 now but they seem to be worn out.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:54 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Hey Leather, I'm also due for shocks and am going to go with the B-steins, just not sure which one. I have a 2" levelling kit so probably the costlier one's!

Dad has the blue and yellow ones on his truck since forever and it still rides better than mine, but its a regular cab...

Geno's was having a sale just recently.....
Old 11-08-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Hey Leather, I'm also due for shocks and am going to go with the B-steins, just not sure which one. I have a 2" levelling kit so probably the costlier one's!

Dad has the blue and yellow ones on his truck since forever and it still rides better than mine, but its a regular cab...

Geno's was having a sale just recently.....
Yes Geno's has 10% off when you buy more than one right now so that helps a little. I am not totally sure if mine are worn out or not as I haven't driven enough different cars/trucks to really know the diff but my wife said the truck rolls around like a boat and after that I did notice that the passenger front corner seems to sag just a bit so I figured I might as well get some new ones...my truck is stock height I'm just not sure which ones to pick...the 5100 are only a couple dollars more but I don't off-road much so I'm not sure if they will be as nice on the road...I do want something with good control though
Old 11-08-2015, 12:30 PM

Just fyi katoom is very happy with his rancho 9000s so i am going to look into them as well
Old 11-08-2015, 05:13 PM

So the rancho 9000s are too expensive for me haha. I'm thinking that I want to go with the Bilsteins but I can't decide which. Cost doesn't really matter as its a difference of about $5 per shock. I am just worried that the 5100 will be too stiff, especially in the back when empty because my truck is just a daily driver so most of the time it's empty. But at the same time I'm worried 4600 won't be stiff enough
Old 11-08-2015, 11:04 PM

A lot depends on what spring rate you have up front, if stock, you could reference a build sheet for the info. Usually a dealership can run your vin and get that. The stiffer springs won't need a stiffer shock if you are looking for ride over control when loaded/towing..

PS the tags may still be on the front springs if you are in a drier area. They won't be the same left to right so if you have one 039, the other side will most likely be different...
Old 11-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Oh ok thanks for the info! I actually decided on the 5100 from Geno's last night so hopefully I'll get them installed this coming weekend :-) I also ordered a new oem steering stabilizer from Geno's.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:18 PM

Post up how you like them after install, eh?
Old 11-10-2015, 05:51 AM

Will do! :-)
Old 11-12-2015, 09:04 PM

Just a note, that sagging won't be corrected by a shock, sounds like an over load on the spring. My truck has the camper and plow package from the factory and my springs are 046 and 049. There used to be a good source for that info but I can't remember the site..I'll try to find it.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:07 PM

Found it! Check out Dave Fitz's dodgeram.org
Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 PM

Just a note, that sagging won't be corrected by a shock, sounds like an over load on the spring. My truck has the camper and plow package from the factory and my springs are 046 and 049. There used to be a good source for that info but I can't remember the site..I'll try to find it.
Ok thanks me for that tip! At this point, I'm not 100% sure if it's a slight sag or just the way the truck was sitting. I thought it was a sag, but the other day at work it looked fine. I think it may just be the angle of the ground where it was parked at home(different spot than usual). I'll double check once I get the shocks installed. I want to work on it tomorrow but gota wait for this crazy rain to stop, so I may not get to it till Saturday. I also have a starter and a thermostat to install at the same time so I have my work cut out for me!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:10 PM

Found it! Check out Dave Fitz's dodgeram.org
Ok thanks will do! I have the build sheet for my truck and I think it says I have a towing package so I'll have to look into all that.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:31 PM

Hey Kurt,

Not sure where you live so you may not have much input on this but Ill ask anyway just in case. I pulled the 5100s out of the box tonight to look them over before the install tomorrow and I was thinking about the zinc coating(I live in watertown ny, LOTS of salt). I did some research and found a bunch of people a few years back saying it doesn't hold up well in salt. :-( I am pretty religious about pressure washing the underside of my vehicles multiple times during the winter but I'm not sure how much that will help... Now I got the shocks because they are what i wanted function wise not for the shiny look, and I really don't want to have to send them back and figure out which others to get. However, I don't want them getting all rusty either. Now obviously painted ones can and will rust too. I want to figure out the best way to protect these things. Do you think I would be better off clear coating them, painting them, or spraying them with some undercoating before the install?
Old 11-13-2015, 07:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Fluid Film works very well to repel water and protect from rust.

Quick Reply: Shocks