2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Sharing A Cheap Dodge Seat Cushion & Wire / Frame Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Sharing A Cheap Dodge Seat Cushion & Wire / Frame Fix

If you're tired of DWS (driving while sunk) in your seat here's a cheap fix.

Years ago I got tired of DWS and it affected BOTH of my seats. On the driver side I found that the underlying wires that support the cushion had cut into the foam causing the problem. I put an old towel over the wires and re-installed my cushion. On the passenger side the wire assembly was broke so cut a piece of plywood to put underneath that cushion (yeah it's pretty stout over there but hey I don't have to ride on that side).

Fast forward a few years later and here we are. I was DWS again and just bit the bullet and ordered a new *expensive* seat cushion. I pulled the driver side assembly off yesterday to install the new cushion and noticed the problem this time was that the wire assembly tied to the frame with springs was broke in multiple places. That old towel did a great job but now there was nothing to support anything. Believe it or not my old cushion was fine but wanted to give the new cushion a home anyway.

Now what I thought? I didn't want to do the plywood thing because I want comfort driving. I called around to the parts stores but nobody has that wire support assembly. I could hit a junkyard later but needed to drive to work on Monday so had to come up with a temporary fix so I just measured the frame and went to find some plywood in an old barn. Digging for plywood I saw some fence wire. I measured it and sure enough as luck would have it, was an exact fit to replace that wire assembly. I linked to some before and after pics.

I don't know about the long haul but I have plenty of fence wire left : ) Hope this helps somebody.

Before Pic

After pic

Last edited by steveb; 07-15-2019 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Can't get pics to upload right
The following users liked this post:
Marine (04-14-2024)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:33 PM

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Southern ingenuity ol son
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
That is beautiful.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only thing I can see wrong with that fix is that the welded wire is going to pop (I HATE welded fence mesh) and let you do it over again. Find a chunk of 2x4 "no-climb" fencing, which has twisted joints? Leave tails on the sides you cut out, and wrap the tails back over tightly (think like an ironworker) and they should hold up for a LONG time And yes, use the old towel or a chunk of feed sack over the wire to protect the foam insert. Done a ton of upholstery over the years on old trucks, and you just have to get inventive sometimes.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by steveb
If you're tired of DWS (driving while sunk) in your seat here's a cheap fix.

Years ago I got tired of DWS and it affected BOTH of my seats. On the driver side I found that the underlying wires that support the cushion had cut into the foam causing the problem. I put an old towel over the wires and re-installed my cushion. On the passenger side the wire assembly was broke so cut a piece of plywood to put underneath that cushion (yeah it's pretty stout over there but hey I don't have to ride on that side).

Fast forward a few years later and here we are. I was DWS again and just bit the bullet and ordered a new *expensive* seat cushion. I pulled the driver side assembly off yesterday to install the new cushion and noticed the problem this time was that the wire assembly tied to the frame with springs was broke in multiple places. That old towel did a great job but now there was nothing to support anything. Believe it or not my old cushion was fine but wanted to give the new cushion a home anyway.

Now what I thought? I didn't want to do the plywood thing because I want comfort driving. I called around to the parts stores but nobody has that wire support assembly. I could hit a junkyard later but needed to drive to work on Monday so had to come up with a temporary fix so I just measured the frame and went to find some plywood in an old barn. Digging for plywood I saw some fence wire. I measured it and sure enough as luck would have it, was an exact fit to replace that wire assembly. I linked to some before and after pics.

I don't know about the long haul but I have plenty of fence wire left : ) Hope this helps somebody.

Before Pic

After pic
Nice work!
How did you attach it on the non-spring side?
Thanks
Old 06-01-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice work!
That's what sets us apart from the rest of the animal kingdom, Opposable thumbs and a brain to work them.