Rear end wiring. - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rear end wiring.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:44 AM   #1

Rear end wiring.

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 long bed. The wiring to the rear of the truck was a hack job when I bought it. It seems like it was cut at one time and then hard wired all in. I am wanting the re wire the whole rear end so I can have a trailer plug that actually works. Has anyone done this? Is there a good place to start? I was hoping I could get a whole new wiring harness and just plug it in but I can't find anything like this.

Thanks.
clutch_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

I guess it depends on how far back the hacking started, but why can't you find the appropriate sub-harness from a parts truck (salvage yard, craigslist, classifieds forum on here) and use that? I can't get under my truck right now to look, so I'm looking at the wiring diagrams on alldatadiy.com (they only show rear lighting for a dually, but the no-fender-lamps diagram should be close enough). It looks like there is at least one connector going to a rear-of-truck harness. If the hacking started upstream of that, just get as much of the OE wiring from the donor vehicle as is necessary to replace all the hacked stuff, and splice the "new" harness on where the OE harness was previously hacked off. If you can find clean wire to work with on your current harness and use proper tools/materials/techniques, you should be in business.
texasprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #3

Factory service manual (FSM) is golden for any wiring issues.....
SIXSLUG is offline   Reply With Quote