2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

rear brake hop

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear brake hop

i had my rear brakes redone a couple of months ago.all new hardware and drums.the brakes are real touchy ,they will throw you thru the window if i brake kind of hard.also if i give it too much brake i feels as if the rear wheels are hopping.the shop that did the work said the brakes were a little out of round and will wear evenly as they break in.when i am pulling a trl. the truck stops fine.could the brakes be adjusted too tight?
Old 09-21-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Adjustment wouldn't help but perhaps having the drums turned will.
Seems to me the shop that sold you the drums should foot the bill.
I've never heard of ordinary wear as a method for truing a drum.
Seems like it would take a very long time.

My truck hopped badly after the tire shop guys didn't listen to me an aired my rears to 80 psi.
Reduced pressure to my normal 55 and the hop was gone. Sort of explains why you don't have a problem when towing with more weight on the rear.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 AM

I did my brakes, and sprung for the cheaper set of rear shoes. They would stick, and grab, and lock up if braking real hard. I could not get them adjusted to where they wouldn't do it. A friend, who used to be a tire changer, suggested that the cheap shoes were metallic, and that I should switch to the more expensive set (Wagner). I should have done that a while back. I changed the shoes, adjusted them, and they have been perfect for a month now.
The interesting part- the guy at Advance Auto said "you get what you pay for". I had to remind him that he sold them to me...
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hodge
The interesting part- the guy at Advance Auto said "you get what you pay for". I had to remind him that he sold them to me...
Gotta research before hitting the store & not take advice from $10/hr parts jockeys. Autozone isn't (shouldn't be) a career.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Was he referring to the drum or the actual shoe being out of round? I've seen quite a few new drums that are out of round. At my old shop I got to the point where every time I did drums, I'd throw em on the brake lathe right out of the box and check run out. I would say at least half the time they were bad enough to where we would have to turn em a little. And if the shoes aren't making correct contact, we'd pull em off and see where the shoes were hitting first, and sand that spot down a bit to even em out. It would be nice to see people take a little extra effort to make sure the job is right, did they test drive your truck before giving it back to you? Surely someone would notice that.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 PM

the shop said the brake pads and not the drum was out of round,i am going to take the truck back the first chance i get, youre right a test drive would have told them something wasn"t right.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
Gotta research before hitting the store & not take advice from $10/hr parts jockeys. Autozone isn't (shouldn't be) a career.
There wasn't much to research. Either pay $27 for one set, or $102 for the other. That doesn't boil down to research, just whether I am cheap or not.
I didn't think that shoes would be that finicky. My "research" involved wasting $27.00. Some of my best learning happens that way.