2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Sound system issue - no front speakers/tweeters

Old 02-24-2024, 10:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sound system issue - no front speakers/tweeters

Trying to suss out this problem is driving me mad! I don't have technical skills in this area so need non-geeky explanations! I've been searching the web for reports of the same issue and am coming up zero.

I believe the truck has the Infinity sound system with head unit (yup, I finally figured out what that meant) with radio/cd/tape/three amp levers and toggle for front/back etc. Not sure.

I don't drive the truck much so sometime this last fall I discovered the front speakers and tweeters weren't working, but the rears do. My head unit was damaged years ago in a front end accident whereby the display didn't light up anymore but you could still tune the radio and set stations. Since I'm prepping this truck for sale I wanted to bring everything up to snuff as best as possible so bought a used, tested head unit from a salvage yard. That didn't solve the problem with the front speakers/tweeters. At least I have a display now.

I saw a video on youtube by a guy who said such problems could be because one speaker is bad and it causes the other adjacent speaker to not work. When the front is out and the rear isn't for instance, you can swap a front speaker to the rear to test it and if it doesn't work in the rear then it is bad. Also, you can test the continuity of the speaker and it should register, say, 4 ohms if it is good. I set about testing the front speakers, took the LH door panel off, and ohms registered 4 on the speaker. Before commencing with the RH speaker, went back on the web - Welp, I saw much talk about one speaker not working in these trucks leading me to believe that the "one bad speaker takes out the good one" theory doesn't apply here. And what about the tweeters?

I don't have a wiring diagram for this year/system. Are there additional fuses somewhere that impact the system other than the one for the radio in the cab fuse panel? I don't know where to put my next efforts! The wiring at the plugs looked fine, BTW. I REALLY don't want to put more money in by way of going to a stereo shop or such. Help!