2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Power steering pump ans vacuum pump

Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by patdaly
Also cruise on NV4500 trucks.........
I think only on the early ones.. IIRC the cruise control on the later MTs was purely electronic.
(But maybe this came with the 3rd gens ??)

About the vacuum questions:

Any turbocharged engine can have a manifold pressure that is higher than ambient pressure.
On a gasser you will have a lot of time with the throttle closed, and therefore have vacuum.
Turbo gassers usually use a vacuum reservoir connected with a one way valve to the intake.

The CTD does not have an air throttle, so the "best" source of vacuum would be the restriction of the air filter.
(Some older Mercedes diesels had air throttles, the 2H Toyota engine had an air throttle and an IP that was controlled by manifold pressure...)

Compression ratio does not have much influence on the vacuum achieved. (in automotive terms)
Old 09-20-2017, 12:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I think only on the early ones.. IIRC the cruise control on the later MTs was purely electronic.
(But maybe this came with the 3rd gens ??)

The later electronic VP44 pump trucks with manual trans the cruise was done electronically directly from the VP so no pedal movement, 2001 up and maybe earlier.
The following users liked this post:
patdaly (09-25-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 03:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by torquefan
Vacuum is caused by a restriction in the air intake path. ... At wide open throttle, a gasser doesn't have any vacuum either.
Excellent succinct explanation. I understand it perfectly now.
torquefan (09-25-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by MAC702
Excellent succinct explanation. I understand it perfectly now.
Yep, very good explanation!

and since you will not be wide open throttle while braking a very good system for everyday use.
torquefan (09-25-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you get the repair kit from fixinrams (for fixing leaks) and have any questions, you can call Pete for answers. He's VERY knowledgeable and very willing to talk with you for as long as you need. Great guy to work with. He also has replacement parts in case your situation requires them.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I got the truck back. After several calls asking me what I wanted, the shop said the PS hoses were leaking terribly. They washed the driver side so they could inspect it further. Turned out the PS worked fine with no leaks or noise. They said leave it for now and see if it starts making noise when it cools off.

However they said the hyraboost has a small leak., more of a seep. Again they said drive it a bit before more work is done as these are pretty expensive to replace.

Checking the brake fluid level it was low so they looked around under the truck and found the main line to the rear brakes was leaking. I told them to go ahead and replace it but don't get crazy and remove the old one then try and fit a new one with all the bends. Also the rear brakes haven't been serviced in a long time so I told them to try not to break the bleeders off. He assured me they do these a lot and that would not be a problem.

Well, I got the truck back and all is well for now. I drove it a couple hundred miles and the steering and brakes work fine.

My billfold us a bit lighter than I expected but they did a good job called me every step of the way. Even parts were less than I could have purchased.

It's nice to have a shop that will work with you.

Byron
Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
The later electronic VP44 pump trucks with manual trans the cruise was done electronically directly from the VP so no pedal movement, 2001 up and maybe earlier.
Makes sense, so 98.5 and up. I never gave it a thought about no throttle lever to pull.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I hope they installed rust-proof brake line in place of the old. That's what I did when my line to the rear axle rusted through.

Chris
Old 09-27-2017, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, they did. I haven't noticed any leakage so far. I'm going to go to the local car wash and scrub under the hood.