2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Power Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering issues

Hey guys my 94 is giving me a fit. It has really scince I got it. I know what yall are thinkin "2nd gen cummins and steering prob, not the only one". Any how first off my p/s is weak at idle. When I first start the truck and im driving the p/s isnt too bad, however when ive been driving for a while and the engine & so on are warmed up my p/s is pretty much non-existant. Its a bear to try to turn at low speeds and trying to turn the wheels at idle sitting still, forget about it. Bringin up the rpm's a bit sitting still or backing out of places etc seems to help just a tad, a very small tad tho, not much. Anyone have any ideas? I was going to try to figure out how to get that screen out of where the pressure line bolts into the p/s pump and clean it out. Does this sound like it could be more serious like the actual p/s pump is shot. Works somewhat decent when cold, however acts almost like theres no p/s at all when warmed up. Let me know what yall think, ive been pour over other posts till im blue in the face w/ not quite the same symptoms as mine but similar was just lookin for some feedback. thanks folks
Old 11-14-2010, 09:15 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm sure you've never replaced the PS fluid since hardly anyone ever does. It probably the most neglected lubricant on a vehicle. I suggest going to your local parts store and getting a cheap plastic hand pump with hose. Then sucking out the old fluid and replacing it with some synthetic. Your PS may be to far gone for the synthetic to help but its cheaper than replacing the PS pump first. I say synthetic because its found that PS units work better in the winter with synthetic fluid.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I agree flush the p/s fluid and put synthetic fluid in first before you condem the pump. Make sure your idle speed is set high enough also. I use Mopar ATF+4 which is a synthetic fluid in p/s units without any problems or you can use P/S fluid mopar part #04778524

Read TSB might be of some help to you also.

NO: 19-04-94
SUBJECT: Low Power Steering Assist in Cold Ambient Temperatures
DATE: Jun. 3, 1994
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE 5.9L DIESEL ENGINE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Low assist from the power steering system following cold engine start up and idle in low ambient temperatures.

DISCUSSION:
This condition may be minimized to the satisfaction of the vehicle owner by reviewing the following cold start procedure:

While waiting for the "Wait to Start" light to go off, depress the accelerator pedal fully to the floor and release.
After the "Wait to Start" light goes off, depress the accelerator pedal about 1/4 of the way to the floor. Turn the ignition key to START and start the engine.
Allow engine speed to increase to about 1,000 RPM before letting the accelerator pedal return to the idle position.
Allow the engine to idle at least 30 seconds (longer in sub-zero climates) before engaging the transmission and driving.
Check to see that there is oil pressure.
When the following repair procedure has been performed, the vehicle owner should be informed of the following:

The power steering system has been filled with cold climate power steering fluid.
The cold climate power steering fluid should be the only fluid used in the system.
DIAGNOSIS:
The low assist condition may remain present until the power steering fluid begins to warm. Ambient temperature will affect how quickly the fluid warms. The power steering system will return to normal operation as the power steering fluid warms.

This condition may be corrected by increasing engine speed temporarily after initial cold engine start up. This allows the power steering pump to prime itself.

If the power steering system is operating normally when the engine is warm, then proceed with the following repair procedures.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Quantity
Part No.
Description

Power Steering Fluid, Cold Climate (pint)

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
This bulletin involves replacing the original power steering fluid with a cold climate power steering fluid designed for low ambient temperatures.

With the engine at operating temperature and not running, remove the pressure and return hoses from the power steering gear. Allow the power steering pump reservoir to drain.
Raise the front wheels off the ground.
Purge the fluid from the steering gear by slowly turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times.
Drain as much fluid from the system as possible.
Reattach the power steering hoses to the steering gear. Torque the attaching nuts to 31 Nm (23 ft. lbs.).
With the engine not running, slowly turn the steering wheel full left.
Fill the power steering reservoir to the FULL COLD level with the service replacement power steering fluid. Leave the cap off.
With the engine still not running, slowly turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock at least 20 times. Monitor the fluid level frequently while you are doing this.
NOTE: SOME FLUID MAY SPILL FROM THE RESERVOIR DUE TO TRAPPED AIR. KEEP FLUID LEVEL AT "FULL COLD". CLEAN OFF EXCESS.

No bubbles should be present. If so, recheck hose connections.
Start engine. With engine idling, maintain fluid level. Reinstall the reservoir cap.
Return the wheels to center. Lower front wheels to the ground.
Allow the engine to run for two (2) minutes. Turn the steering wheel in both directions.
Verify smooth, low noise power assist operation and no system leaks. Check for proper fluid level.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:35 AM

ATF in a '94 system will cause even more problems. Stick with power steering fluid.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM

You don't want to use ATF+4 in your truck, at lest my 96 doesn't, use power steering fluid. Clean the screen first, check idle speed, in drive w/AC on if you have it, then switch to the synthetic. After all that, if it doesn't improve change the pump.

Floyd
Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
My error 2003 and up trucks can use ATF+4.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KATOOM
I'm sure you've never replaced the PS fluid since hardly anyone ever does.
I've replaced mine with the installation of every **** poor steering box i've tried. AGR (x3 or 4 i forgot), Cardone (1 & needing another).

I'm hoping to go with redhead as soon as I have time ie after heater core. Tell me again how durable and reliable these trucks are?????
Old 11-15-2010, 07:21 PM

Isn't there a way to tell if your truck was built on a Monday or a Friday?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM

I think it may have been built on a sunday in mexico, I found a corona label under one of the valve covers LOL. I did pull the old P/S fluid and put new in, when I did the p/s box, I changed it about 2 months ago b/c there was an ungodly amount of side to side play in the box itself. Ive seen a couple of you guys mention the idea of trouble in winter. In fact like i said when its cold the p/s works almost decent except for at idle. When my trucks warmed up tho all bets are off. Ill try the fluid again w/ pulling and cleaning the screen. If that doesnt get it I'll run to the local mom & pops parts store and grab a pump. Something like 62$ thx guys
Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 92GhostRyder
I think it may have been built on a sunday in mexico, I found a corona label under one of the valve covers LOL.
They dont work on Sunday in Mexico.....thats just the day they woke up from the siesta.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Banned

Perhaps you need a new PS pump?