2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Power steering gremlin!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering gremlin!

OK I just replaced the P/S pump, gearbox and return lines on my 99 I have lots of air in the P/S system!!! On jacks I have turned the wheels lock to lock with the engine off and some air came out then with the engine running turning lock to lock and pressing on the brake I get frothy p/s fluid!! I did this for about 2 hours and still have frothy fluid and stiff steering. Could a over tighten gearbox be causing the tight steering? I thought that the P/S pump was bad so I yanked the new one out and replaced it with another remaned one from NAPA!! I have fluid moving just steering is tight on jacks!!No leaks and all fitting are tight! I'm waiting for a break in the weather to loosen the gear box and start bleeding the system some more!
Old 09-26-2015, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have changed the fluid with P/S fluid but have seen where guys are using ATF+4? Every where I look it says the use P/S fluid and not ATF+4. just trying to get some clarification!! Or an additive that's help!! Thanks
Old 09-27-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I recall threads stating a lot of grief aver steering box issues, especially rebuilds for the 2nd gens. Most suggested going with redhead or another who's name escapes me right now.

Sounds like air in the hydroboost unit other than the tightness you describe.

Also, I would only use Synthetic PS fluid in my truck.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I've been known to throw in on these threads, as I am an advocate of what works for me...

Redhead steering gear. And Amsoil synthetic atf. That's it,that's all.

Way back when I got the truck, the ps fluid would always (100% of the time ) froth when the weather got a little cool. Say below -20c. When it got into the 40's, it was ridiculous. I went with the Amsoil atf, and never looked back. No foam, no moan, in fact it almost made the truck a pleasure to steer. Other than the dodge part. That "sheet of plywood in a cross wind" effect, never totally goes away.

Fwiw, I also have a dss, and a 3rd gen adjustable track bar from ssi on there. It makes the drive borderline bearable.

I have found, when changing pumps, crack the pressure line fitting at the hydroboost, and wait til straight oil comes out. Then bleed the rest of it. A bad accumulator can cause this too.

Good luck