Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Not NOW Please, It's a 100 Degrees! (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/not-now-please-its-100-degrees-304023/)

Kidrod 06-12-2012 08:26 PM

Not NOW Please, It's a 100 Degrees!

This morning when I started my trusty rig I heard this "clanking" noise. It stopped when I turned on the AC and started again when I turned if off. I didn't use the AC on my way to work and the noise stopped before I got there (4 miles to work) I started it at lunch time and no noise and I used the AC on the way home and all was good. I'll see what happens in the morning. Compressor clutch maybe? One time thing I hope however I normally have cruddy luck :( Big job to change clutch? Spendy to take it to a shop for repair? Thanks fellers, Tim

KATOOM 06-15-2012 01:15 AM

If it stops when the A/C compressor is engaged then its probably the compressor clutch bearing. You can replace the clutch assembly only.

rebal 06-15-2012 11:26 AM

if its the bearing you will want to fix it asap before it gets the shaft hot and takes out the comp seal . then you talking $ to fix

Kidrod 06-15-2012 07:34 PM

Thanks Guy's, It has made no further noise but I will heed the warning it gave me and get it takin care of. This is a great place. Tim

KATOOM 06-16-2012 10:30 AM

If you plan on waiting to see if it makes any more noise then you may want to invest in purchasing the serpentine belt for the non-A/C trucks and keeping it with you. Because if or when the clutch bearing does seize, you'll have no way to run the engine without bypassing the compressor.

Kidrod 06-16-2012 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM (Post 3112615)
If you plan on waiting to see if it makes any more noise then you may want to invest in purchasing the serpentine belt for the non-A/C trucks and keeping it with you. Because if or when the clutch bearing does seize, you'll have no way to run the engine without bypassing the compressor.

I plan on replacing the clutch upon my return from my motorcycle trip to Washington State. I gotta ask as I live darn near as far north in Cali as one can get....Where are you? Thanks for the advice. Tim

KATOOM 06-17-2012 12:34 PM

I'm only a few miles south of you. [coffee]

Kidrod 06-18-2012 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM (Post 3112803)
I'm only a few miles south of you. [coffee]

AHHH, So I am the one who lives in the Real NorCal :D

KATOOM 06-19-2012 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kidrod (Post 3113100)
AHHH, So I am the one who lives in the Real NorCal :D

I said a "few" miles. [laugh] You either go to J&H or Jefferson State Diesel, right?
As far as I'm concerned, everything north of Williams can be considered northern CA. And everyone from southern CA thinks anything north of Bakersfield is northern CA. [duhhh]

Kidrod 06-20-2012 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM (Post 3113426)
I said a "few" miles. [laugh] You either go to J&H or Jefferson State Diesel, right?
As far as I'm concerned, everything north of Williams can be considered northern CA. And everyone from southern CA thinks anything north of Bakersfield is northern CA. [duhhh]

We need to hook up and have a beer, you know... maybe shoot the poop about trucks, guns, motorcycles and why I waste my time voting Republican in this state :(

torquefan 06-20-2012 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You need to have a look at the hub on the outside of the compressor clutch. It's common for the spring steel plate to start cracking where it flexes to engage the clutch. That causes the rattle when it's not engaged. It's those strap-looking things that radiate out to the edge of the hub that crack. You should be able to see it if you get under the truck. Unfortunately, you'll have to buy the whole clutch assy, with the field winding, pulley and bearing. Change them all for the best repair, as the two friction surfaces will be scored up from engagement.

KATOOM 06-21-2012 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Kidrod (Post 3113598)
We need to hook up and have a beer, you know... maybe shoot the poop about trucks, guns, motorcycles and why I waste my time voting Republican in this state :(

You already sound like someone I'd like hanging out with. [coffee] I agree with you too. Its sad to live in a state that doesn't follow your political views. Just for sake of information, here's a map of the 2008 election. Click on the states to see how they actually voted per county. Sometimes its surprising to see that the states are one color geographically but the other color demographically. :(http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/re...ident/map.html

Kidrod 06-21-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM (Post 3113653)
You already sound like someone I'd like hanging out with. [coffee] I agree with you too. Its sad to live in a state that doesn't follow your political views. Just for sake of information, here's a map of the 2008 election. Click on the states to see how they actually voted per county. Sometimes its surprising to see that the states are one color geographically but the other color demographically. :(http://elections.nytimes.com/2008/re...ident/map.html

Wow, knew it was bad but Dang. It's hopeless but I will do it again only with a nastier attitude [verymad] [verymad] [laugh]

KATOOM 06-21-2012 07:30 PM

Dont get me started. [laugh]