Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   no start!!!!! need advice. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/no-start-need-advice-131481/)

natew05 01-09-2007 11:35 PM

no start!!!!! need advice.

Today my pickup decided to quit. 2000 24v and it won't turn over. Really not too sure with it. I put a voltmeter on the connections and wasn't getting any voltage running to the starter. dont' know what this could be. does it mean the starter is out, bad connections, bad batteries. i dont know

Devin_01 01-10-2007 01:11 AM

Auto or Manual???????

BigDave12768 01-10-2007 02:07 AM

Are the Batteries dead? Is it just clicking? Try tapping the battery post with a hammer and see if they are loose. Also turn the headlights on when starting it. When you turn the key if they dim down heavily its the battery. If they stay normal its the starter.

D2 Cat 01-10-2007 09:45 AM

Nate, If it's an auto try starting it in Neutral or Park. It could be the safety switch on the transmission.

b4wheeler 01-10-2007 11:41 AM

Check the starter solenoid fuse in the power distribution center under the hood. It is a 20 amp fuse and there is a TSB out on it. Replace it with a 25 amp and you should be fine. This is exactly what dodge says to do. There is a 30 amp rated relay kit to replace the factory wire available from Mopar. I have not priced it yet, but that is only because I have been fine since replacing my fuse with the 25amp .

Junk Man 01-11-2007 07:56 PM

Exactly what happened to mine at 101,000. Check the fuse to the starter - drivers side under the hood. If it's blown, you probably have a bad contact in the solenoid. (increasing the fuse is 1 possible solution depending on amount of contact wear.) Easy to replace. I think Geno's sells a heavy duty contact. I was in a hurry so took the starter to a rebuild place. $40 to test components & replace w standard contact. 10mm box end to pull starter (don't waste time trying anything else like socket etc). Also need whatever size (17 or 19 mm to pull batt cable at starter). Use a jack on open end of the wrench if you can't get enough leverage to loosen the bolts. It may start if you run a hot wire to the small terminal & touch the + side of the battery. That will bypass the clutch cutout switch. Make sure it's not in gear. Do a search. Common problem.

natew05 01-12-2007 12:18 AM

Yah i checked out the Fues that controls the starter relay and it was blown replaced it and it blew out again. Determind it was the solenoid had gone bad. Decided to replace the whole starter. It had 175k on it so figure it would go out again. Replaced it, starts better than it did when i bought the it.