2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

No reverse lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No reverse lights

Im sure Im not the only person to ever have this problem... A month or two ago my rev. lights worked fine then they got to where they worked sometimes now they rarely ( if ever ) work. Is there a sensor or something that is messed up? Sure hope I can get this fixed because backing over cats, dogs, cars, and little old ladies is only fun for a little while : .<br> Wheels
Old 07-26-2003, 12:48 AM

Re:No reverse lights

Hey, check your cup holder light and ciggarette light. If that is out then you have a blown fuse down by the driver's side door. At least thats for mine. I believe its a 10 amp fuse in #7 but you might want to look. Very easy fix but mine has blown a few times. Hope it helps but I dont know if it comes and goes so, thats probably the easiest thing first.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:08 AM

Ill give my fuses a look but I know my cig. lighter works on account of my &quot;Bird Dog&quot; and cell charger.<br> Thanks<br> Wheels
Old 07-26-2003, 01:22 AM

No, not the acutal cig. ligher plug. The little light that is in your cup holder and the ash tray...Sorry for the confusion. But if those lights are out its your fuse but I dont know.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:30 AM

Theres a light in my ash tray ???. I wasnt aware of that. I guess I should look it over more thouroughly.<br> Thanks again<br> Wheels
Old 07-26-2003, 01:37 AM

haha well in my 98 there are lights in there. Anyway your welcome, I hope you figure it out because it is a PITA!
Old 07-26-2003, 06:05 AM

Your reverse switch may be going bad. It is located on the drivers side of your 5spd. Should be a two wire plug with a brown/lightgreen [hot wire from fuse] and a violet/black one [wire going to your bulbs and trailer harness ]. These wire colors are from a 2002, and your's may be different. You can shift into REVERSE and check the switch for continuity. You can also short out the two female pins in the connector with the key in RUN to check the lights. If your fuse is blown, remember to check your trailer wiring. But since you said it started working intermittenly, I'd bet a barley pop on the switch.
Old 07-26-2003, 06:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Second on the switch. Mine did the same thing sounds like, but mine is an auto. Not sure of your location. While I was at it, I added extra tractor headlights under the bumper and used a starter solenoid to drive them. Now I can really see them pesky critters when they try to get out of my way. ;D ;D<br>Ed
Old 07-27-2003, 02:16 AM

Thanks guys, I figured it was a switch or a relay or something like that. Ill give it a check first thing tomorrow and Ill let ya know how it turns out.<br> Wheels
Old 07-27-2003, 06:15 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts

Agree that it is probably the switch on the tranni. Let us know the fix.
BTW, on mine did not think too highly of the factory reverse lights. They did not exactly light up the world behind me. So bought a light kit from Genos but did not like the way it looked stuck under the bumper. Too much like an afterthought. So junked everything except for the lights and the wiring. Cut holes next to the licence plate and installed them there. Relocated my trailer plug next to the hitch. Now the lights look more like it came from the factory plus I can see when I back up at night.
Old 07-27-2003, 07:04 AM

I mounted a couple rubber cased 100watt halogen tractor lamps and reverse beeper on the back of my truck. Free'd up my stock reverse lamp sockets for a couple amber turn signals. Anytime I want to really see something, I just go backwards. ;D
Old 07-28-2003, 06:03 PM

Had the same problem on my girlfriends 98. Much like you, the problem was intermittant. Eventually, narrowed it down (with JKlender's help I might add) to the reverse switch (should be on the passenger side of the NV4500). The switch is easy to replace. unscrew the old one, put a small dab of RTV on the threads of the new switch and install it. Works like a charm. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:35 AM

Same thing on my automatic. Bad switch . I put teflon tape on the new switch, then pulled the old one.did it real fast &amp; lost about a half cup of fluid. Then went inside &amp; told the wife that I cut my hand. She did not think that was funny ???
Old 12-11-2018, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by JKlender
I mounted a couple rubber cased 100watt halogen tractor lamps and reverse beeper on the back of my truck. Free'd up my stock reverse lamp sockets for a couple amber turn signals. Anytime I want to really see something, I just go backwards. ;D

how did you wire them in ?I like the sounds of that
Old 12-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Smile

Since this thread is from 03 and I haven't seen anything from dsljunkie in quite a while, let me help. To do it right I mounted a relay behind the left taillight up and out of harms way, this in turn gets triggered from the reverse light circuit right off the bulb wiring at the taillight. The power feed is from the hot line at the trailer controller. Ground it to the body and attach the leads for the lights to the relay and replace the taillight. Neat and done with good circuit for the lights and low load on the stock wiring...Happy Holidays