2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

no brakes untill its running

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no brakes untill its running

So my brakes dont work untll I start the engine. If I park on a slope and go to start it up, when I mash the clutch & the brake, it will roll until it fires up, the the pedal goes down some with a squeal, and the brakes work all of a sudden. Does anyone know what this might be?
Tanks Marv.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:24 AM

Thats normal. Thats why they make parking brakes. Brakes work off hydraulic pressure. Most brake systems work off engine vacuum. But my 99 has a hydroboost system. It uses the power steering pump and fluid to make pressure. Not exactly sure how that works, but you get my point. They should work a little, but not very well. You might try bleeding your brake system.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:05 AM

Normally both the vacuum booster and the hydroboost units store enuff energy for two full stops after the engine shuts down -

- that large flat 90deg elbow in the vacuum booster cover is a one-way valve, which lets the vacuum pump draw down to ~26"HG, but won't allow Barometric pressure to seep back in - if your vacuum booster won't hold that vacuum, indicated by hard pedal with engine off, either the valve is leaking or the booster itself is leaking - time for replacement

- that long blue cylinder - some are gold - on your hydroboost is a hydrualic pressure accumulator, storing reserve pressure from the power steering pump - if your accumulator won't hold that pressure, indicated by hard pedal with engine off, then the accumulator is leaking internally, and time for replacement - can also be failing hydroboost unit, leaking back internally - accumulator may no longer be serviceable separately, requiring hydroboost unit replacement - which is probably best, as your truck is now getting fairly long in the tooth, eh?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks gmctd, thats a lot of info. I guess I need to study up on this system, because I dont know any of those parts you listed. And yes 205 K, she is needing some attention here and there.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:58 PM

Also making sure that the rear brakes are adjusted right can help .
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 PM

Correct, on the rear brakes adjustment - just pop the rubber plugs out, check the distance between the shoes and the drum - adjust the star wheel till the brake locks against the drum, then back off one full turn - or, with the wheels off the ground, trans in neutral, emer brake off, tighten till the wheel won't spin, then back off till you can rotate the wheel - as mentioned, too much shoe\drum clearance could also be the problem

Pop the hood, look for the brake master cylinder, above the steering column - directly behind it you will see either a large round black can with a large vacuum hose attached to the one-way valve in the cover, the vacuum booster, or a smaller, narrower device with power steering hoses connected to it, the hydroboost unit - over on the engine-side of the hydroboost unit will be a blue- or gold-anodized aluminum cylinder - that is the accumulator

The one-way valve, the vacuum booster and hydroboost unit are each replaceable
Old 01-27-2008, 12:15 AM

OK I will check my rear break adjustment, and I saw a blue cylinder by the boost unit. There is some seepage around a seem on the booster, so it is probably leaking a little.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM

Just pop the rubber plugs out of the backing plate, use a flashlight to check the space between the shoe and the drum - the two bottom-most plugs let you see the front and rear shoes, one of the two upper plugs is for the star-wheel adjustment, depending on which brake you're adjusting, left or rignt

Post if you have any further questions
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM

Perfect, I can do that. Thanks