Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   new owner new user (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/new-owner-new-user-18756/)

AKCTD 10-06-2002 08:19 PM

new owner new user

I bought a 2001 2500 CTD QC swb auto trans 3.53 rearend SLT Laramie canopy and bed liner, red w/ silver 24500,miles<br>two years on warranty this last August. I have already ran in to the steering wander problems. I had the dealer change the track bar and the outer tie rod ends. Well this didn't fix the problem so this Tuesday it gets a new steering box hope that fixes it. Had to laugh about truck block heaters I would hate to have to plug mine in when it dipped below 40 F. It is already getting below freezing up here in Alaska. Truck is starting fine in the low 30's F. I would like to put in a Espar engine coolant heater. Well I willpost the results of the new steering box later AKCTD

chuck3 10-06-2002 08:25 PM

Re:new owner new user

AK thats way too cold for this time of year brrrr. <br> But you know it is a lot easier on the Eng parts if you did plug her in, thats why I plug mine in below 40deg just sounds so much better when it fires up. ;)

chuck3 10-06-2002 08:26 PM

I forgot, Welcome to the site. ;D

admin 10-07-2002 07:54 AM

Yep, welcome to the site. :)

Fillerupsonny 10-07-2002 08:38 AM

AKCTD -<br><br>I bought my 2001 2500 with 56000 miles and it wandered a bit. I remembered the amazing results I had gotten years back by just replacing the steering stabilizer on a Ford F-250 and did so on my 2500. Cleared it right up. Much cheaper than a steering box unless you have proven that the box is shot. Get the highest quality off road stabilizer you can, I got a Skyjacker. HTH

CaptainDD 10-30-2002 09:24 PM

Welcome to Alaska . What part of Alaska are you in. I have not been plugging my truck in as the weather has not been lower than 25.Been living in the deep freeze for 25 years and still love it.Good luck

10-31-2002 07:47 AM

Welcome aboard AKCTD always good to see new members

TPilaske 10-31-2002 08:41 AM

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the site! ;D<br><br>Tony

dodgeman01 10-31-2002 10:05 AM

This might not belong here but my truck is getting hard to start and it is only 40 out side. Is there any way to tell if the grid heater is still working?<br>and how much do they cost to repplace?<br>Thanks Aaron

Srigs 11-02-2002 12:43 AM

I have the steering wheel wonder also. It is the steering coupler and cost about 125 from the dealer and very easy to change. It is between the steering pump and steering wheel shaft.<br><br>I'm replacing it this weekend. :D

Commatoze 11-02-2002 05:57 PM

[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=5;threadid=5619;start=0#59877 date=1036080342]<br>This might not belong here but my truck is getting hard to start and it is only 40 out side. Is there any way to tell if the grid heater is still working?<br>and how much do they cost to repplace?<br>Thanks Aaron<br>[/quote]<br><br>Not sure how much they cost, but I can help you with whether it's working. Remember, non-functioning heaters could be the result of a bad relay or blown fuse rather than the heaters themselves.<br><br>An easy one first is to go out at night when the engine is cold, turn the key and wait for the light to go out. Start it and turn your headlights on. If they cycle between dim, and bright, and your voltmeter is on the low side, chances are it's working.<br><br>other methods:<br><br>1) A non-functioning grid heater should set code P1291, &quot;No Temp Rise Seen From Intake Air Heaters&quot;. This is monitored during the first 15 second of engine operation.<br><br>2) Measure the voltage at the battery while someone cycles the the heaters. The voltage should dip at least 1/2 volt or more during the heat cycle.<br><br>Hope this helps........Tom