2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Need advice how to re-center my steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice how to re-center my steering wheel

Had the death wobble blues...

New shock absorbers made it worse, so replaced the track bar with another Moog, and got Moog sway bar links and urethane sway bar bushings. No more wobble...

But, steering wheel is now canted at about 7 o'clock to 1 o'clock. Steering seems fine and solid. Probably need an alignment but can I just pull the steering wheel cover and nut and then re-center the steering wheel?

Probably not an airbag in the wheel so not worried about that.
Truck seems to not pull or wander, so maybe repositioning the wheel will be all I need to do????
Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 PM

The easiest fix is to adjust your tie rods. Any time you screw with anything up there the wheel gets moved off center. Lot less work than the steering wheel. Just loosen the tie rod clamps on both sides. Then turn one as you have someone tell you which way the wheel moves. Just move it a little and match it with the other side. You can move the wheel to dead center and keep your alignment fine since you don't seem to have problems with wander or pulling. just takes a few minutes. Move slow and easy.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Read thread below - DRAG LINK SITUATION

Just did mine today - loosened the adjustment sleeve on the the drag link and turned it in the proper direction until centered. This adj. doesn't affect your alignment or steering radius. Just finished about thirty minutes ago.

Then you might want to adjust the steering box tension - do a search for simple way to adjust - works wonders (at least it did on mine).
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, but don't have any tie-rod or Pittman Arm pullers in my tool bag...

Kinda figured could just remove the steering wheel and reinstall a few splines to the right. Not possible? The tie rods are long installed and likely frozen. Seems like I was reading where there is a steering stem bracket that can be loosened, wheel moved back to center and then tightened up again? 1995...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The steering wheel is probably going to be splined to the shaft and not easily re-centered that way. The proper way is to adjust the sleeve on the drag link off the pitman arm. I had to do that with the 03TBK I did years ago. Not hard to do. Just lube up the sleeve with penetrating oil the night before and work on it in the morning.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 AM

The drag link is a piece of cake. Loosen the two clamps on the adjuster sleeve, and rotate as follows:

Looking at the adjuster sleeve from the drivers side wheel well (like it is a nut) turning CW 1 turn will make the steering wheel go CCW about 5-10 degrees per turn, depending on your steering box ratio and vis versa.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You need to center wheel first then adjust tie rods. Best to have alignment done. Steering box is designed to have max gear preload when steering wheel is center position.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 AM

Lester, You don't need anything like a puller to adjust the drag link to tie rod ends. Loosen the 2 clamps on each adjuster sleeve and grip them with a channel lock or small pipe wrench if they are stubborn and move them slowly, but do the matching move on each wheel. If you move the driver side wheel outward and the steering wheel moves the proper direction, just move the passenger side inward the same amount.. Then check the wheel position. This is a 10 minute job.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 AM

On the drag link there is only one sleeve, a locking band with bolt on each side of it. When you rotate the sleeve, both wheels move in the same direction, no adjustment of individual wheels needed. As my post above describes. Mine moved easily by hand and took me 5 minutes to do with the front off the ground.

In the picture it is to the upper left of the diff cover

Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by toms73novass
On the drag link there is only one sleeve, a locking band with bolt on each side of it. When you rotate the sleeve, both wheels move in the same direction, no adjustment of individual wheels needed. As my post above describes. Mine moved easily by hand and took me 5 minutes to do with the front off the ground.

In the picture it is to the upper left of the diff cover
Yep, ^^This is what you are looking for. Don't touch the adjuster sleeve at the left tie rod end, because it will change your toe. Only adjust the sleeve on your draglink(the rod leading from your steering gear). If your steering wheel is off to the right, you will need to make the rod longer. Probably start with half a turn, then go for a drive. It's a pretty simple adjustment.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by torquefan
Probably start with half a turn, then go for a drive. It's a pretty simple adjustment.
Just be careful with where the "open" clamped end is make sure that it does not point towards the crossmember, other wise you will gouge the crossmember when the truck is lowered down onto the wheels.

Ask me how i know!