2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

mudflaps/splash gaurds yes or no

Old 12-18-2002, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mudflaps/splash gaurds yes or no

what do yal think should I put some splash gaurd on my truck. this truck is off road a couple of times a week tired of cow crap on my doors and all those rock chips. do any of yall have any pics of good nerf bars(black) and a link to any good splash gaurds
Old 12-18-2002, 06:28 PM

Re:mudflaps/splash gaurds yes or no

I have the Dodge molded splash guards on my '95 truck and they allow a spray of stuff to still get on the rocker area. On my 02 truck I installed the Dodge non-molded splash guards. They are longer than the molded type and I'm happy to say I get NO spray of stuff on the Rocker area . The Dodge accessary catalog has a few different options for the non-molded type splash guards. I have the standard 4x4 version, but there is a version for lifted trucks also. The parts guy told me they are about 3" longer than the 4x4 version, but cautioned about using them if the truck is NOT lifted. He said they may have ground clearence problems and look "funny". I was considering removing the molded splash guards from the old truck and installing the non-molded type, but the molded piece of the splash guards has worn the paint badly after being on the truck for several years
Old 12-18-2002, 10:12 PM

deezee has good ones and i think deflecta shield...but plan on spending a pretty penny
Old 12-18-2002, 11:58 PM

Get the ones that 1tuffram suggested which are the Dodge mud flaps (non-molded) and extra long 4X4 (what I have on Large Marge). This will cut down on a lot of damage to the rocker pannels. 8)
Old 12-19-2002, 05:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the longest flaps that you can. They will not only keep stuff from chipping the rockers, they will also keep as much stuff from getting into the bottom of the doors where the skin is rolled over the frame. In the northeast, we have our roads salted every time it snows, sleets, or gets below 30 degrees. I have seen a lot of 2nd gen trucks with rot coming through the door bottoms. Not one of these trucks had a set of mud flaps on it. I went to the local Mack dealership and bought a set of hard plastic flaps and trimmed them so they would not quite so foolish. There was a tremendous reduction in the amount of sand, salt and moisture in the door jambs and door bottoms.
Old 12-19-2002, 06:12 AM

Like these maybe..???

www.kaydenco.com
Old 12-19-2002, 06:35 AM

Bryan, I have the non molded Dodge splash guards on mine, they do a good job of keeping the road crud off of the truck. They are not that expensive either, although I got mine at cost ;D Takes about 2 hours to put them on. If you can dont use the push pins supplied to hold them on, use wax coated screws. The push pins will come loose. I had a couple pop out on mine.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:42 AM

Bryan,<br><br>I like Richard &amp; Commatoze live in the Northeast and can tell you that good mud flaps will definately help keep the body rust free. I have running boards in the front and mud flaps from a truck stop designed for 18 wheelers. I trimmed them a bit to fit. Maybe some think they look silly but in 10 years when the rocker and quarter panels are chip &amp; rust free, I'll be the one laughing. I don't have one chip yet on the panels and have had them on the truck since new.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did I mention that my rocker panels are all chipped, due to the lack of common sense of the previous owner. So in the spring, I get to repaint the whole bottom of the truck. I already have 2 cans of chip guard ready for after the repaint. So if you can stand to look at a set of large mud flaps, you will save yourself a lot of time and money in the long run.
Old 12-26-2002, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have moulded running boards and the mopar moulded mud flaps on the rear. They work pretty good. Saw some pretty cools one on the Cummins power store on line @www.Cummins.com/powerstore.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:43 AM
Administrator

I have also seen where several people have had the spray in bed liner type material applied to the body like from the bottom up to the first crease or trim or whatever you want to call it. Looks pretty good and protects the sheet metal.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:53 AM

The bottom of my truck was fairly chipped up when I bought it, especially the front corners of the box. The inside bottom seam on the doors was rusted as well. I got it sandblasted and repainted up to the trim. The guy sprayed Duraguard along the bottom couple inches and feathered it in. You have to get right up to it to see it. I also bought the biggest Mopar unmolded mudflaps and put them on as low as I could. I still get mud in the doors and spray on the back 6&quot; of the box. I'm going to try to extend them with some rubber. <br>Someone years ago gave me a good tip on parking in a heated garage in winter. All the salt and ice melts and runs into every little crease it can. The same goes for halfassed washing and not rinsing throughly.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:27 PM

Yes, just hang them low enough to do some good. See Attached Photo.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:25 AM

Here is a side shot with mud flaps and running boards. They help keep the side in great shape.<br><br>Just keep the running boards washed off on the bottom.