2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Can track bar play amplify engine vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Can track bar play amplify engine vibration?

Hi guys. I recently did the d25/Bilstein mod, and while I love the ride and the look, there is something that is eating me alive.

I mangled the threads on the OEM track bar doing the install (ignorance was NOT bliss), and there's a lot of play in it now. I was barely able to get the nut back on, but there's almost a 1/2" of play in the track bar now.

Ever since I did the install and created the play in the track bar, there is a lot more engine noise in the cab. It's REALLY loud when I turn left (stretch track bar), and seems to go away almost completely when I turn right (which loads
the track bar in compression).

Furthermore, when I shut the truck down, there is a shudder that resonates through the whole cab!

Could the play in the track bar be amplifying the engine vibration? My DT track bar should be here tomorrow, and I hope this fixes it. It's weird-- you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel and shifter as well.

What else could I have done during the D25 install that would cause such vibration?? I am 90% sure it's the track bar, but I don't want to be throwing money at everything..

Thanks for the replies in advance.

HOHN
Old 11-03-2003, 04:02 PM

Re:Can track bar play amplify engine vibration?

ANyone???? Bueller???

Old 11-03-2003, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Hohn, I feel your pain because I've gone through roughly the same thing this past month. I just did the same mod, only I installed TC spacers first. I ended up with a terrible vibration in the front end; thought it was the new bigger tires, so I put Michelins back on. Vibration was still there, so we checked driveline/pinion angle, track bar, ball joints, everything. It all checked out, so the only thing left was the spacers. Switched them out for the D25s and the ride is good again, but I have noticed that the engine is louder. I assume this is because the lift brings the noise into the cab differently, but maybe my engine is getting ready to grenade, who knows. I have had the engine shudder/shake since new, I think that's just what these diesels (cummins) do.

If you have 1/2" of play in the track bar, that's definitely going to affect things up front. Since you've already ordered the track bar, see if that fixes things. If it doesn't, you'll have to go back to stock and do a process of elimination on your front end. Good luck with everything.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents and things you probably already know

What's the build date on your truck? On a later 02, your front driveline will always turn, so check your angle. We thought that might be my problem, but I have an early 02 with the disconnect. Besides that, it's straighter now than it was before.

Another possible culprit was the OEM track bar. By lifting the front end, the track bar pulls the axle to one side, taking it out of line with the rear. Again, we thought this might be my problem, but apparently they come a little long and the 2" lift brings it just past center. A 4" lift or greater and it's too far out so a new adjustable track bar is a must.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:46 AM

I have a very late build '02 (july) that lacks the CAD. I thought it might be pinion angle, but the vibration is synched with the Engine rpm, not vehicle speed, so that rules out the driveline.

Somehow, something is amplifying the engine vibration to make is sound a lot worse than it did before. I think it is the play in the track bar, acting like a little jackhammer as the engine vibrates, causing the noise to resonate through the whole front end.

Alsol, the shudder is not the normal CTD shudder upon shutdown. You can actually hear a front end rattle that wasn't there before.

The only thing loose in the front end is the track bar, so that seems to be the culprit.

I sure hope the DT unit fixes this. I am out of ideas if it doesn't.

Justin