2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Melted Headlight Switch Connector!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Melted Headlight Switch Connector!

My 97 3500 Dually started having headlight switch light problems so I pulled the switch and discovered that the 9 pin plastic connector in the areas of the b2,h, and r pins had partially melted. The pink wire attached to b2 also was temp discolored. I need to replace the connector. Does Dodge service the connector without replacing the whole wire assy? Looks like a replacement of the connector and splice into existing wires would suffice, what do you say?
Richard
Old 10-15-2006, 05:41 PM

There is a recall on the switch. Check with the dealer.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It should be covered by this recall> http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/819.htm

They use a new switch and connector with short wires.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:01 PM

I believe the recall you are talking about does not apply to this rruck. Recall 819 applied only to 3500`s built through Oct. 21,1996 and my truck was built midway through 97. Obviously the same problems persisted past that recall point and Dodge is simply stuffing it! The kit is #CAJM8190 and I`ll probably see if the local dealer has it tomorrow. Thanks for the info,
Richard
Old 10-16-2006, 01:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any chance that a "RV plug" was mounted in the bed of the truck? I often found that the wrong wire was tapped for the running lamps to the trailer and would cause this "meltdown". I've also seen people mount extra lights (running boards) to the circuit which can cause some issues.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:25 AM

There is a lot of comments in the owner manual about not using the parking light leads for powering other lights or aux. lighting. They suggest that you use a relay (30 amp) for all aux. lights...
Old 10-16-2006, 09:28 PM

Let us know if your dealer has the kit for the receptical that the switch plugs into[ the one that is burned] because when I tried to find one from our local dealer, the parts man gave me a song and dance that they only had a complete wiring harness at some rediculess price . I ended up using insulated crimp on connectors and just plugged them into the switch. That has worked very good so far on the 94. Also ran a seperate switch and relay to the trailer lights which probably helps to extend the life of the switch. I had the same problem on the 92 and fixed that one by going to the auto wreckers and removing the switch and socket from a dodge van and splicing that in. Either way is very low cost and works. Just takes a little labour.....
Old 10-16-2006, 10:03 PM

This morning I went to our local Dodge dealer in search of a connector! Found out that the connector was only available in a kit that included a switch, the connector with short 10" leads, and shrink tubing. The cost was 101.00 or so. I asked if the recall had ever been extended because my reasoning dictated that if my truck suffered from this malady at a build date of 7-97 then there has to be plenty of other 3500`s that are the same! He didn`t want to talk about it!! I bought the kit and left. Later today I installed the kit with good results, but to keep the same thing from happening again, I also ordered the Summit Harness kit to install. Should be here Thurs. or Fri.
I`m disappointed with Dodge`s response. The recall #819 vehicles all had(have) the same headlight switches as mine, no change even after the end of the recall! I`m fixing mine properly but there are many others out there that are in the same boat!
regards, Richard
Old 10-16-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by linwin
This morning I went to our local Dodge dealer in search of a connector! Found out that the connector was only available in a kit that included a switch, the connector with short 10" leads, and shrink tubing. The cost was 101.00 or so. I asked if the recall had ever been extended because my reasoning dictated that if my truck suffered from this malady at a build date of 7-97 then there has to be plenty of other 3500`s that are the same! He didn`t want to talk about it!! I bought the kit and left. Later today I installed the kit with good results, but to keep the same thing from happening again, I also ordered the Summit Harness kit to install. Should be here Thurs. or Fri.
I`m disappointed with Dodge`s response. The recall #819 vehicles all had(have) the same headlight switches as mine, no change even after the end of the recall! I`m fixing mine properly but there are many others out there that are in the same boat!
regards, Richard
What was the Summit kit you're installing- the headlight relay kit? If so, it can't hurt, but it's almost always the park light circuit that causes the trouble. Sometimes the trailer lights get powered through the switch (as J body mentioned), but even by itself, a dually with all its extra clearance lights draws too much current for the switch to handle. You may want to consider powering all the park/tail/clearance lights through a relay. I have done this in the past- it's easy and works well.

Also, I have found that these headlight switch connectors are starting to be serviced in the aftermarket.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:02 AM

Torquefan, excuse my ignorance but could you elaborate about installing a relay in the circuit that powers the parking light clearance light circuit? I would be very interested in doing so but don`t quite have the knowledge to do so.
Thanks,Richard
Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 AM

There is a separate p/n for the head lamp switch connector that includes the plastic connector and pins. It's harder than he77 to find on the parts locator. I used to have the number in my notes, but that "issue" was long ago. If I found it I would gladly tell you the p/n and price.....but the powers that be would probably send me another nasty gram on "advertising in forums (non-vendor)" since I would be quoting a monetary amount.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by linwin
Torquefan, excuse my ignorance but could you elaborate about installing a relay in the circuit that powers the parking light clearance light circuit? I would be very interested in doing so but don`t quite have the knowledge to do so.
Thanks,Richard

....you would use the blk/yl wire off the headlamp switch to trigger a relay. That way the relay would carry the amperage load, not the switch. Or....if you have trailer tow package, make sure any aftermarket of trailer lights are tapped into the "trailer tow running lamp circuit" which was the blk/orn wire as opposed the the blk/yel alot of people tapped into.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 AM

Too bad about the recall. I did the relay thing before the recall came out, and although it was better, another connector burned out. I think that the problem is not really with the wiring, but with the rheostat for dimming the dash lights. If you drive for a long time with the lights dimmed, the switch gets hot and melts the connector.
george
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM

I noticed on both the switches that burned out that it was the pink wire that got hot and melted. Where does that wire come from or go to?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 PM

According to my '96 manual, the pink/red wire is the power feed to the headlamp switch from fuse 18 (15 amp).

Quick Reply: Melted Headlight Switch Connector!