2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Light Switch "VERY" Hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Switch "VERY" Hot

I noticed that the dash around my light switch while I have them on is extreemly hot. Like hotter than I would expect. I don't have any electrical burning smells or anything but in my last 94 dodge I had the wiring burn up on me and want to stop it before that happens. Any insite on the situation would greatly be aprecitated. Have any of you noticed this same problem and are they prone to burn up?

thanks
JaredOlsen
Old 11-24-2005, 05:38 PM

The switches in them are notorious for burning up. And yea they do get really hot. Summit sells a kit to fix this for cheap
Old 11-24-2005, 05:41 PM

Do a search on headlight switch heat. You will get enough info to keep you reading for some time. This is a known and old problem with these systems. Wire and switch are too light for the use. I have a summit wire kit with relays on mine to remove headlight load from switch. You can also open a small hole in AC duct near the switch to help with air flow cooling. Don't need a huge one. Mine is about 1/4 inch hole.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:59 PM

I had a problem with my 94 but thought that where the switch seems to operate differently they might have solved the problem. So are the "01' s haveing problems also?

Jaredolsen
Old 11-24-2005, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Anyone got a link to the relay box from Summit? I tried searching but can't find it.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:40 AM

WAIT!
Before you spend any money, try this test... Simply turn your dash lights all the way UP to bright... Drive a few miles and see if that doesn't greatly cool the dash down...

The instrument panel light-dimmer rheostat is dissipating quite a bit of heat when the lights are turned down... Also, if you have added any extra lights on the dimmer circuit, like lights for your EGT,Boost,ATF temp gauge cluster, you will be making it even worse at dimmed brightness levels.

I noticed this effect last year while on a road-trip and now I have the lights turned up all the time... Dash stays nice-and-COOL...

The switch STILL has issues with headlight current burning up wiring(as you know all too well from your '94)but I figure reducing all those watts being dissipated that close to the switch OUGHT to help keep it cooler and prolong it's life.

Keith
Old 11-25-2005, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
WAIT!
Before you spend any money, try this test... Simply turn your dash lights all the way UP to bright... Drive a few miles and see if that doesn't greatly cool the dash down...

The instrument panel light-dimmer rheostat is dissipating quite a bit of heat when the lights are turned down... Also, if you have added any extra lights on the dimmer circuit, like lights for your EGT,Boost,ATF temp gauge cluster, you will be making it even worse at dimmed brightness levels.

I noticed this effect last year while on a road-trip and now I have the lights turned up all the time... Dash stays nice-and-COOL...

The switch STILL has issues with headlight current burning up wiring(as you know all too well from your '94)but I figure reducing all those watts being dissipated that close to the switch OUGHT to help keep it cooler and prolong it's life.

Keith
Kieth,

that would work, unfortunately some of us (myself included) prefer to dim the lights. Helps with your night vision. I would like to take the headlight load off the switch, and with my electronics skills I could put in a relay myself. But if someone already has a product for a reasonable price and looks better than something I could fab up then I would buy it. I may aldo drill a hole in the A/C duct to help cool it.

BTW the reason the dimmer heats everything up back there is because of that rheostat. I believe the lights are voltage controlled, that is the rheostat reduces the voltage available to the light circuit. For those that don't know a rheostat is a variable resistor. The more the rheostat has to dim the lights, the more energy (voltage) it consumes to divert that energy as heat into the air.