2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Iron Armor, Bed-liner spray on rocker panels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Iron Armor, Bed-liner spray on rocker panels?

Howdy!

I am checking to see if anybody here has any input about the brand of spray-on/roll-on bedliner material sold at Harbor Freight called Iron Armor

Theeir website has nothing but positive reviews, but thought I would look on DTR

here is harbor Freights website

http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-b...ack-60778.html

I am wanting to put bedliner material on the rocker-panel area of my truck to protect from rocks and other flying road debris.

They also salt the snot out of the roads here in winter.

I want to cover from the bottom character line and down, probably wrap around the bottom flange on the body, and even do the door sills and door interiors on bottom.

I used "Herculiner" on my truck bed, it was OK (cheap but peels up under hard useage), But it is more textured than I want for the outside of the truck. Ideally, I would LOVE to take the truck into a "LINE-X" place. I think very highly of their product, but it is pricy..

Anybody here use this Iron Armor stuff?

Any other ideas about applying a protective material to this area? I know this isn't an original idea, I have seen trucks going down the road with something like this sprayed on them.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies
Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
It is all in the prep.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used durabak www.nonslipcoating.com been on the truck since 07 and love it. did it all myself just like you would be doing so prep was done right. I also did the inside the door step area. Also the rear bumper. I removed the factory plastic cap piece on the rear bumper. Also since i have fender flares i removed the flares and did a trace outline of coating so that would protect behind the flares since no flare seals 100% and its nasty behind the flares.. I pulled the rear tail lights and did a light coating on the mating area the lights sit in.

over time water and rain will make the liner appear chalky.. IMO its the minerals etc in the water. I will use the cleaner CLR and soak the liner using a scrub brush do this a few times and its back to looking new. I will look for some pics of what i did and post them up.

I did purchase from a auto/paint store edge tape that had a metal type wire in it. This is to help tape a clean line. I could have sprayed my product I used. but at the time I was trying to do this on a cheap budget so i just rolled it. my kit came with 2 roller heads, however i did request more since i knew I would use them since i put on 4 coats. so you may consider getting more roller heads if you plan on rolling. The roller heads are unique due to the liner product.

also durabak has 2 lines of liner. the original is really textured and rough. it will scrap you if you had it on the bed and wore shorts and got on your knee. about 3 years after i put on the original and the smooth textured liner came out I bought the smooth and went over lightly with a sander on the rough and applied the smooth much better.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 03-02-2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 AM

This was the cleanest truck pics that i found.
Attached Thumbnails Iron Armor, Bed-liner spray on rocker panels?-truck-1.jpg   Iron Armor, Bed-liner spray on rocker panels?-truck-2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lowes & Home Depot have what looks to be a quality deck coating called Restore. Stuff comes in a dozen colors, gallon quantity, dries in a "rubber" type coating w/some texture and looks to be a really good product. Other things have come up but I think I'm going to try it when I get the dash replaced, heater core, seats recovered and get to the point where I can repaint/wrap the truck.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 PM

I have used Linex in my last two Dodges with good results.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by high bid
Lowes & Home Depot have what looks to be a quality deck coating called Restore. Stuff comes in a dozen colors, gallon quantity, dries in a "rubber" type coating w/some texture and looks to be a really good product.
A friend bought a house with what I suspect was this Restore stuff on a 12X15 deck. It looked like rubberized sandpaper and just looked wrong on that deck. She wanted it removed. I tried scraping with no luck. I tried a bigger, meaner scraper. I couldn't even scratch the stuff, and it had been on there for years. I finally rented a floor sander and spent 7 hours sanding that crap off the deck. And I didn't get all of it off either. This was on a Redwood deck. I don't know how it would last on steel, but on wood it's damm near permanent.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would buy a good quality 2K product (with catalyst) and spray it on. Make sure you sand areas prior to application and follow proper application procedure.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Z06-LITE
I have used Linex in my last two Dodges with good results.
I love linex but my wallet never did. My entire truck bed and rockers and bumpers cost less than 450$ with the Durabak. but no warranty.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by high bid
Lowes & Home Depot have what looks to be a quality deck coating called Restore. Stuff comes in a dozen colors, gallon quantity, dries in a "rubber" type coating w/some texture and looks to be a really good product. Other things have come up but I think I'm going to try it when I get the dash replaced, heater core, seats recovered and get to the point where I can repaint/wrap the truck.
I purchased this stuff for my fathers shop floor but before i was sold i spoke to the manufacture and they have a small sample kit that is good for about
3'x3' area to try and test out. I did that it cost little for it. we bought the kit did his floor and its been there for 4 years . but the problem with this is we know have put some good scrapes and cuts in it from well it being in the shop. if you had to go back over it to fix the spots they would look like crap since the color is dulled and aged compared to new. a bedliner type stuff if you actually are able to cut or scrap it which does happen and i have had to fix minor areas. or when i removed my single stack kit it blended well.

If i had the money to do it again I would have done linex because of warranty.

but Im very happy with durabak on my truck and i have used it on steps and help put it in my bud's horse trailer's inside 5 feet up on all walls. I'm not a horse person but I guess they like to POO on the walls in the trailer. .. so pressure washer hits the durabak and cleans well.

so lesson here today is poo on walls bad.....
Old 03-03-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
This was the cleanest truck pics that i found.
That is a nice looking truck!!
Old 03-03-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dieselwrks; That is an awesome looking truck!

I will look into that brand. I am looking ot do exactly what you did along the rockers, only I hadn't planned on the fender flares. Those look really good!

What brand are those flares? Also, how long had that material been on your truck when you took that picture?

Has anybody on here tried any of the aerosol type products like Rust-Oleum, or Dupi-Color??

Thanks to all who replied!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by mattn124
Dieselwrks; That is an awesome looking truck!

I will look into that brand. I am looking ot do exactly what you did along the rockers, only I hadn't planned on the fender flares. Those look really good!

What brand are those flares? Also, how long had that material been on your truck when you took that picture?

Has anybody on here tried any of the aerosol type products like Rust-Oleum, or Dupi-Color??

Thanks to all who replied!
Bushwacker extended size

IMO the aerosol type would have never gotten the thickness that I wanted. I have had many loads of gravel and stone in the bed and have never had a issue. Plus that would be alot of cans. The truck was done in 2006-7 . I believe i have a total of 5 coats on the sides and 6 in the bed. Prep is the key plus the temperature outside if its to cold it will take way to long between coats.

when i bought my truck it had IMO the ugly chrome rocker things stuck to it and they were rusting. so when i took them off well alot of oem paint came off too. This was the cheaper than re painting.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
That is a nice looking truck!!
Thanks .
its just time, money and broken parts and more money.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:23 AM

cool truck!!

dieselwerks- that second gen is sweet!!
makes me miss mine. more pics if you have any- thanks

Quick Reply: Iron Armor, Bed-liner spray on rocker panels?