2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Intermittent gauges, warning chime?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent gauges, warning chime?

Hello. I have a problem with my 1999 Ram 2500 that houses an awesome cummins engine. This is my work truck.

Problem discription: No Gauges, "no bus" on odometer, ccd on mini computer, red light on under mini computer. Warning chime going off. Every warning light on. Engine tried to die (hiccuped) a few times but kept running. (It is a cummins after all.)

Last week I was pullling a two axle trailer with a 250 hp electric motor into an irrigation well to change the motor. The well was in the center of the corn field and the field road had a lot of corrigations in it. My point is it shook the heck out of me and the truck. After I left the location, my gauges started working intermittantly, and the warning chime would come on. A little down the road everthing started working fine so I forgot about it until yesterday when it started doing it again. Being a skilled electrician, I thought about the problem, formed a hypothysis, and smacked the dashboard vigorously. I am now missing even more pieces of my dashboard..... (1999). But it did bring the gauges back to life, and got rid of the fault displays. Until I hit a bump. I am assuming I have a loose connector under the dash. Before I dive in, are there any suggestions of what connector to look for? Or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance.
Travis.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Should be easy enough to just reach down through the cracked dash.

Pretty sure it is the main connector to the cluster, pretty common on these.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 PM

That's what I was thinking! Easy access. No need for tools, or a flashlight! Thanks for the reply. I have read some posts with similar issues, so hopefully it's not to hard to find the problem. Once I find the problem, I'll be sure to post it here. Or I'll just quit working and driving. One of the two.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:46 AM

I've been fighting that problem for a couple of years on and off but without it affecting the the way it runs. In fact it was back again last week after having been gone for about a year (allowing to more fully enjoy the transmission, lift pump(s) and VP44 failures) so if you do actually fix it please share how you managed the feat
Old 06-14-2012, 07:53 PM

I had that problem and found that I had to pull the plugs out of their pockets and let them sit on the front of the pockets in the dash, because every time I tried to plug the dash cluster back in they wouldn't seat properly. put them on the outside of the mounts and now it plugs up solid and no more erratic behavior.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 PM

I had this happen to me too. Here my thread: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...g-t302855.html