2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Water leaking in cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water leaking in cab

I have tried searching the internet for more ideas as to where this leak is coming from, but I am out of ideas.

Water is leaking into the passenger side of the cab, when it rains. I have resealed the windshield and all of the weatherstripping around the door. Water is dripping from the far right edge of the dash, and it seems to be coming from under the dash somewhere.
I can't physically see where the source is, but it drains down the metal brackets under the dash, to the right of the glove box, and drips from the far right corner of the dash (right by the kick panel).

It is not coming from the heater core, it is physically dripping from the underside of the dash.

The heater core drain is not clogged. I have resealed the third brake light as well.

The headliner is not damp.

I pulled the A-pillar panel, nothing seems to be draining down from inside of it or the A pillar itself.

Where the hell is it coming from?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Very common issue in these trucks is for the third brake light seal to go bad and the water then runs down the inside edge of the A-pillar and end up on the passenger floor.

Try sealing it up it helped my 96 with a similar issue. The only way I could tell was after pulling the third brake light there was a piece of foam rubber wrapped around the plug and it was soaked with water.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lary Ellis (Top):
nothingbutdarts (11-22-2017), Rsquared28 (03-30-2018)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Very common issue in these trucks is for the third brake light seal to go bad and the water then runs down the inside edge of the A-pillar and end up on the passenger floor.

Try sealing it up it helped my 96 with a similar issue. The only way I could tell was after pulling the third brake light there was a piece of foam rubber wrapped around the plug and it was soaked with water.
What Lary said, I ended up having to use clear silicone on my old rotted gasket to finally get it to seal. Not sure they sell the gasket any longer and I didn't want to make a new one.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:57 PM

I will double check it, but I RTVd the third brake light this past weekend. Then it rained and started leaking into the cab again.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
My work truck is doing this also and its driving me mad trying to find the leak,,,sealed 3rd brake light, had windshield replaced, caulked body seam under wipers...all door seals good and dry underneath.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Pulled the third brake light, it was not leaking.

What body seam under the wipers are you referring to?
Old 11-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
If all you say is correct and the upper brake light is not leaking and you have no clearance lights on the cab and your heater drain for the evaporator is not plugged for sure.. then I suspect the inlet baffle is cracked or not sealed properly. The inlet baffle is what protrudes through the top of the firewall and where the heater plenum mates up to over by the recirc door. You can try pouring water into the mesh between the hood and the windshield. HVAC plenum would have to be dropped but not removed to get to it for removal.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:27 AM

Sorry, my work truck is an 07 F-150. Just the same, I have taken this further than I had to when my 3rd brake light was leaking on the Dodge, which fixed the issue back then.

IF you have been running the defrost hard lately, I would re check the hvac drain hole, its a pia but could be running condensate into the cab.....
Old 11-25-2017, 09:42 AM

Anyone have any pictures of how the cowl inlet is supposed to look? I can remove the cover and seal what needs sealing, but I don't want to seal something that needs to drain.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
On mine the drain designed to allow rainwater to flow through the cowl area was plugged up. I removed the cowl screen and cleaned it out. It literally looked like potting soil. And lots of it, too.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:12 PM

My work truck leak ended up being decayed windshield alignment tab washers. The F-150 have one at each lower corner with a thin foam washer that decays and fails after about 10 years and lets water draw into the cab, down the firewall and onto the floor, behind the mat..

Not sure if the Dodge brothers did this on our rigs, but maybe worth a look...
Old 03-30-2018, 02:57 PM

Good input on this thread. Thanks everybody.
On my truck, I have streaks of dried water running down the inside of my back window. One more place to look.
Eventually I will have a glass shop pull that window out and replace the seal.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:34 AM

FYI on replacing back glass. I busted mine out with a pc of firewood and had it replaced with a Factory (3 panel) and it leaked. They said it was leaking from the frame and was a manufacturing defect. They asked them to send another one and it had the same exact problem and they refused to put the 3panel back in from factory. Left me with two choices, an aftermarket which didn't mount flush like factory one does, or go with a flush mounted solid back glass. I opted for the flush, solid, and I LOVE it. Ruled out the actually sliding rail leaks and then I resealed the 3rd brake light at same time just in case. Had it tinted and it look great except for a really crappy tint job from shop I had do it.