Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Idler and Pitman Which one? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/idler-pitman-one-325708/)

VADSLRAM 07-24-2016 12:51 PM

Idler and Pitman Which one?

I think after 17 yrs of faithful service it's time to replace some steering parts.
I went to RockAuto and they list different specs for the Idler Arm. One with 12.5 mm bolt holes, one with 14.5 mm, one with 16 mm and one with 16.5. GVWR 7500 for the 12.5 and 88k for the 16 the others don't say. They have mevotech, Moog and AC Delco in all the different sizes.

Mine is RWD and of course Cummins.

Has anyone dealt with this yet? I'd rather go with the heavier if it fits but short of pulling the arm and measuring I can't find anything on it. I can't pull and measure in triple digit heat when the truck is my DD and can't be down for very long.

HELP?

patdaly 07-24-2016 02:32 PM

Hm, looks like they changed production mid year.

I don't think any diesels were rated at 7500, check your door sticker for sure ( 2WD might have been diff. than 4WD )

As for the 14 to 16, no guesses from me, I would pull a bolt and measure.

VADSLRAM 08-22-2016 02:07 PM

I bit the bullet and ordered the heavier Moog model. I'll post if it was a problem.

VADSLRAM 08-31-2016 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The 8800 parts were right.
It is a world of difference in the handling! The old ones weren't completely shot but the truck used to wander a little bit going over grid bridges and on the highways that they cut the tining in.(the picture in the post is what tining looks like.

Now it's rock steady. I'm sure it is like it handled new but that was 17yrs ago and I don't have that good a memory.

VADSLRAM 10-27-2016 11:50 AM

After swapping out all the old parts (~$300 worth) I went to get it aligned...
It isn't easy around here. Most places can't handle a +7000lb truck on their alignment racks.
I did find a really good place and I found out that my truck was out of spec. Caster on both wheels and camber on one came from the factory wrong???
I know I haven't abused the front end, no Aftermarket parts and really no new front end parts until now.
I never would have bet that it was wrong but the tech says they have a couple of the local truck dealers who bring their new stuff in to check and a good 15% are not right.[duhhh]

patdaly 10-28-2016 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by VADSLRAM (Post 3314476)
After swapping out all the old parts (~$300 worth) I went to get it aligned...
It isn't easy around here. Most places can't handle a +7000lb truck on their alignment racks.
I did find a really good place and I found out that my truck was out of spec. Caster on both wheels and camber on one came from the factory wrong???
I know I haven't abused the front end, no Aftermarket parts and really no new front end parts until now.
I never would have bet that it was wrong but the tech says they have a couple of the local truck dealers who bring their new stuff in to check and a good 15% are not right.[duhhh]

Well, how does it drive??????????????

VADSLRAM 10-31-2016 01:10 PM

I'd say better than new...but that was 17 yrs ago and can't remember that far back.
I can say It is scary how bad it was. Since it was over so many years getting a little bit worse all the time I must have gotten used to having to chase the white line all the time. Now I can keep the steering wheel in one place and not cross lanes for every twig and breeze.