Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   How do I replace my headlight switch? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/how-do-i-replace-my-headlight-switch-180193/)

Brendan 11-28-2007 08:40 PM

How do I replace my headlight switch?

So.. How do I do it? Does it involve removing the entire dash face plate? Any help would help... On the 94

hink 11-28-2007 09:17 PM

Remove 2 screws holding in the cup holder and remove it. Remove 2 screws holding in the ashtray and remove it. I usually start above the radio when removing the dash bezel. You can pull out on the dash bezel pretty easy above the radio (for me anyway). The bezel has clips that hold it into the dash. Pull the bezel back firmly, but don't yank on it. Tilt your steering column all the way down. Be sure to unhook the wire going to your 12v accessory/cigarette lighter plug. Just take ur time, it's pretty easy to get out. After you remove the dash bezel, you will have access to the switch. I believe there are 2 or 3 screw that hold it in also.

JSPulliam21 11-28-2007 10:33 PM

Three screws hold the switch in the dash. After you remove them and the switch you can unplug it. Then you remove the knob and face plate, and install them on your new switch.

Brendan 11-28-2007 11:26 PM

Thanks guys!

Fueling around 12-01-2007 07:24 PM

Very timely info as my switch is bad, too. I picked one up at local auto parts store and the switch aslo came with a replacment connector.

How often does the OEM connector burn up?

JSPulliam21 12-01-2007 09:23 PM

I don't know, but my switch does not have a plug on the back. It is just female spade connectors. Probably previous owner crap. But it is good to know they come with a spare plug, since I would like to change mine out.

TIMMY22 12-01-2007 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fueling around (Post 1818656)
Very timely info as my switch is bad, too. I picked one up at local auto parts store and the switch aslo came with a replacment connector.

How often does the OEM connector burn up?

The wire harness beneath the drivers battery tray gets a lot of corrosion in the north country. This happened to mine and melted my plug too. I had to fix the rotted wires, then fix the plug.

Fueling around 12-01-2007 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by TIMMY22 (Post 1818883)
The wire harness beneath the drivers battery tray gets a lot of corrosion in the north country. This happened to mine and melted my plug too. I had to fix the rotted wires, then fix the plug.

Are you talking the headlamp wiring or the switch wiring inside the cab?

Fueling around 12-01-2007 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by JSPulliam21 (Post 1818880)
I don't know, but my switch does not have a plug on the back. It is just female spade connectors. Probably previous owner crap. But it is good to know they come with a spare plug, since I would like to change mine out.

I don't know if a 97 is different than a 98, but my new switch matches the photo in the service manual. Switch has male spade contacts and the wire harness connector has female. Just not looking foward to splicing 9 wires. Kinda chilly outside.

roughstock 12-01-2007 10:41 PM

claw hammer

TIMMY22 12-02-2007 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fueling around (Post 1818939)
Are you talking the headlamp wiring or the switch wiring inside the cab?

headlight harness under battery causing melted connections at the headlight switch.

smokeyram 12-03-2007 08:14 AM

I just did a switch last night, If memory is correct this is the 3rd or 4th one.
I prefer to leave each connection loose, with there own terminal. the factory harness plug melts out, and your stuck re doing that whole mess each time.
If it has gone out , take a few minutes, look at what is going on, it will most likely go out again.

JSPulliam21 12-03-2007 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by TIMMY22 (Post 1820441)
headlight harness under battery causing melted connections at the headlight switch.

I will check this.

Originally Posted by smokeyram (Post 1821119)
I prefer to leave each connection loose, with there own terminal. the factory harness plug melts out, and your stuck re doing that whole mess each time.

The previous owner must have subscribed to your ideology, because mine is done just like that.